RussMasterTech
RussMasterTech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  19 years of GM Dealership experience. ASE Master with L1 and GM Master Certified in Electrical
9377736

yes how do you remove dash on 99 chevy blazer got ...

Customer Question

yes how do you remove dash on 99 chevy blazer got everthing out of the way but cant dash to brake loose when i say remove every thing i mean everthing air bag all compents just have a shell have all nuts and bolts out all fire wall bolts are out took cover off air unit under hood what would i be missing and what makes the dash pop off thanks
Category: Chevy
Expert:  RussMasterTech replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Without knowing where you're at in the procedure, I'll send you the factory procedure so you can see if you left out a step.

Hope this helps you.

If this is the information you were looking for, please make sure to click the "Accept" button so I may receive the credit for helping you today. Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Russ

Instrument Panel Carrier Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. On vehicles equipped with a manual transmission, remove the shift lever.
  2. On vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission, perform the following steps:
    2.1. Apply the park brake.
    2.2. Insert the ignition key and turn the ignition switch to the RUN position.
    2.3. Depress the brake pedal and shift the transmission to the 1 position.
    2.4. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.

Object Number: 392686  Size: SH

Caution: Unless directed otherwise, the ignition and start switch must be in the OFF or LOCK position, and all electrical loads must be OFF before servicing any electrical component. Disconnect the negative battery cable to prevent an electrical spark should a tool or equipment come in contact with an exposed electrical terminal. Failure to follow these precautions may result in personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

3. Disconnect the battery negative cable.
  4. Remove the left sound insulator.
  5. Remove the right instrument panel sound insulator.
  6. If the vehicle is equipped with a multiple CD changer located in the center console, remove the center console.
  7. Remove the center sound insulator.
  8. Remove the lower left instrument panel mounting bolt.
  9. Remove and retain the instrument panel storage compartment.
  10. Remove the lower right instrument panel mounting bolt.
    Object Number: 392691  Size: SH

11. Remove and retain the left and right speakers and the speaker grilles.
  12. Use a flat-bladed tool in order to remove the windshield defroster grille. Retain the grille and the sunload sensor (if equipped) for use on the next IP carrier.
    Object Number: 392690  Size: SH

13. If the vehicle is equipped with a sunload sensor, twist the sensor ¼ turn counterclockwise in order to disengage the sensor.
  14. Disconnect the brown electrical connection from the body control module (BCM).
  15. Disconnect the purple electrical connection from the body control module (BCM).
  16. Remove the knee bolster.
  17. Remove and retain the instrument panel cluster.
  18. Remove and retain the radio.
  19. Remove and retain the HVAC control assembly. :

20. Disable the passenger side SIR system.
    Object Number: 392681  Size: SH

21. Remove the left and right instrument panel driver knee bolster brackets.
  22. Lower the steering column for clearance. Refer to the appropriate procedure:
    Object Number: 303370  Size: SH

Important: Label all of the connections in order to avoid improper installation.

23. Remove the top instrument panel screws.
  24. Roll the instrument panel down.
  25. Disconnect the electrical connections, as needed.
  26. Remove the fastener that retains the radio antenna cable to the instrument panel.
  27. Remove the instrument panel from the vehicle.
  28. If replacing the instrument panel carrier, retain parts for assembly of the new instrument panel carrier.

Installation Procedure

1. Install retained parts from the original instrument panel.
    Object Number: 303370  Size: SH

2. Install the instrument panel to the vehicle.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

3. Install the fastener that retains the radio antenna cable to the instrument panel.

Tighten
    Tighten the fastener to 1.9 N·m (17 lb in).

4. Connect the electrical connectors, as needed.
  5. Roll the instrument panel up.
  6. Install the top instrument panel screws.

Tighten
    Tighten the screws to 1.9 N·m (17 lb in).

Object Number: 392681  Size: SH

7. Raise the steering column into position. Refer to the appropriate procedure:
  8. Install the left and right instrument panel driver knee bolster brackets.

Tighten
    Tighten the screws/bolts to 6.3 N·m (56 lb in).

Object Number: 392690  Size: SH

9. Enable the passenger side SIR system.
  10. Install the HVAC control assembly to the instrument panel. Refer to the appropriate procedure:
  11. Install the radio.
  12. Install the instrument cluster.
  13. Install the knee bolster.
  14. Connect the purple electrical connection to the body control module (BCM).
  15. Connect the brown electrical connection to the body control module (BCM).
  16. If the vehicle is equipped with a sunload sensor, install the sensor to the defroster grille by twisting the sensor ¼ turn clockwise.
    Object Number: 392691  Size: SH

17. Install the windshield defroster grille by carefully pressing the grille into place.
  18. Install the left and right speakers and the speaker grilles.
    Object Number: 392686  Size: SH

19. Install the lower right instrument panel mounting bolt.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolt to 11.5 N·m (102 lb in).

20. Install the instrument panel storage compartment.
  21. Install the lower left instrument panel bolt.

Tighten

22. Install the center sound insulator.
  23. Install the right sound insulator.
  24. Install the center console to the vehicle, if removed.
  25. Install the left sound insulator.
  26. Connect the battery negative cable.
  27. On vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission, perform the following steps:
    26.1. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position.
    26.2. Depress the brake pedal and shift the transmission to the PARK position.
    26.3. Release the park brake.
  28. On vehicles equipped with a manual transmission, install the shift lever.