Dan, Auto Technician
Experience:  GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified
4976144

2004 tahoe: rear wiper..the BCM, if I give it a jumper gound it works

Customer Question

I have a problem with the rear wiper in a 2004 tahoe, I have it tracked down to the black wire, wich goes to the BCM, if I give it a jumper gound it works, do you have any info on this?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.

Check this bulletin out and let me know if it helps ok.

#02-08-43-001A: Rear Wiper Jumps When Fog Lamps Turned On (Connect Auxiliary Ground to Rear Washer Pump) - (Mar 24, 2004)

Subject:Rear Wiper Jumps When Fog Lamps Turned On (Connect Auxiliary Ground to Rear Washer Pump)

Models:2002-2004 Cadillac Escalade
2003-2004 Cadillac Escalade ESV
2000-2004 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe
2000-2004 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL

This bulletin is being revised to add models, model years and revise the Parts Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-08-43-001 (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).

Condition

Some customers may comment that the rear wiper jumps when the fog lamps are turned on.

Cause

Electrical feedback from the fog lamp circuit into the ground of the rear window washer pump may cause this condition.

Correction

To perform this correction, you will need to obtain the following items:

A J 38125-B Terminal Repair Kit. Obtain the following parts from the kit.
- P/N 12041351 (Cable Seal) from tray #2
- P/N 12077411 (Terminal) from tray #2
- P/N 12103507 (Ring Terminal) from tray #18
A 508 mm (20 in) length of Black, 0.5 mm (20 gauge) or 0.8 mm (18 gauge) wire

Important: Do not re-use the old cable seals. Replace old cable seals with P/N 12041351.

Isolate the rear washer pump ground circuit by performing the following steps.

1. Remove the left side fender to radiator tie bar diagonal brace.
  2. Remove the battery.
  3. Remove the battery tray.
  4. Remove the bolt that secures the washer bottle to the upper radiator tie bar.
  5. Raise the vehicle on a hoist.
  6. Remove the lower washer bottle mounting bolt.
  7. Locate the rear washer pump motor, mounted into the washer solvent bottle under the hood, and disconnect the wiring connector for the rear washer pump (Dark Green/White stripe and Black wires).
  8. Remove the black wire from the connector. Cut the wire and tape the end to seal out moisture intrusion. A non-sealed wire will allow moisture to wick up the strands of the wire and may corrode other components/connections.
  9. Slide one end of the new wire through the weather pack seal that was removed from the old wire.
  10. Properly attach the 12077411 terminal (crimp and solder) to one end of the new black wire.
  11. Properly attach a 12103507 ring terminal (crimp and solder) to the other end of the new black wire.
  12. Place the new terminal and wire assembly into the rear washer pump connector and properly position the weather pack seal.
  13. Reconnect the connector to the rear washer pump.
    Object Number: 310809  Size: MF

14. Route the new black wire down to the attaching point on the frame, same location as the battery ground. Follow the battery cable routing.
  15. Remove the ground to frame attaching bolt.
  16. Clean the battery cable and G100 ring terminals of contamination.
  17. Install the new wire ring terminal between the battery ground wire (5) and the existing G100 ground wire (3).

Tighten
    Tighten the engine wiring harness ground/negative cable bolt to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

18. Install the lower washer bottle retaining bolt.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolt to 9 N·m (80 lb in).

19. Lower the vehicle.
  20. Install the upper washer bottle retaining bolt.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolt to 9 N·m (80 lb in).

21. Install the battery tray.

Tighten
    Tighten the battery tray bolts to 9 N·m (80 lb in).

22. Install the battery.

Tighten
    Tighten the battery hold-down retainer bolt to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

23. Connect the battery cables.

Tighten
    Tighten the battery cable bolts to 17 N·m (13 lb ft).

24. Install the left side fender to radiator tie bar diagonal brace.

Tighten
    Tighten the front end diagonal brace bolts to 9 N·m (80 lb in).

25. Reset the clock.
  26. Advise the customer that all memory modules will have to be reset such as seat, radio presets, and the like.
  27. Also advise the customer that the transmission shift points may feel somewhat different. This will change over a short period of time as the transmission adapts to the customer driving habits.

Parts Information

Part Number

Description

12077411

Terminal

12103507

Ring Terminal

12041351

Cable Seal

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Dan's Post: Not the case here.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
this is not the problem, I told you before it only works when I put a ground jumper to the black wire that I think goes to the BCM.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This is a little cofusing, because the overhead light turns on when the taigate or rear window opens, but the wiper motor only works when I put a jumper ground to the black wire, (that is the wire on the end of the plug oppisite of the bump on the plug)can this be a problem with the BCM?
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
Let me do some digging and get back to you ok.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, I think the problem might be with the BCM.
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.

Have you checked the connections and pass throughs at the rear hatch area? It's possible that ground is open somewhere and the wire is either frayed or open completely.

Rear Wiper Inoperative

Step

Action

Yes

No

Schematic Reference: Wiper/Washer Schematics

Connector End View Reference: Wiper/Washer Connector End Views

DEFINITION: The rear wiper motor is inoperative in one or more modes, the rear washer pump may or may not operate.

1

Did you review the Rear Wiper/Washer System Description and Operation and perform the necessary inspections?

Go to Step 2

Go to Symptoms - Wiper/Washer Systems

2

1. Turn the ignition ON.
  2. Operate the rear wiper/washer system in all the switch positions, including the washer position.

Does the rear wiper/washer system operate normally?

Go to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections

Go to Step 3

3

Did the rear wipers operate in any of the rear wiper/washer switch position?

Go to Step 12

Go to Step 4

4

Does the rear washer pump operate when the rear washer switch is pressed?

Go to Step 5

Go to Step 10

5

1. Install a scan tool.
  2. Turn the ignition ON, with the engine OFF.
  3. Observe the Cargo Door Ajar Switch parameter in body control module (BCM) inputs display screen, with the liftgate closed and opened.

Did the parameter displayed Open and the Closed accordingly?

Go to Step 6

Go to Courtesy Lamps Always On

6

1. Disconnect the window wiper module-rear connector.
  2. Connect a test lamp from the battery voltage circuit terminal in the wiper motor harness connector to a good ground.

Does the test lamp illuminate?

Go to Step 7

Go to Step 9

7

Connect a test lamp from the battery voltage circuit terminal to the ground circuit terminal in the wiper motor harness connector.

Does the test lamp illuminate?

Go to Step 20

Go to Step 8

8

Repair the rear wiper motor ground circuit for an open or high resistance. Refer to Circuit Testing and to Wiring Repairs .

Is the repair complete?

Go to Step 22

--

9

Repair the battery voltage supply circuit for an open or short to ground. Refer to Circuit Testing and to Wiring Repairs .

Is the repair complete?

Go to Step 22

--

10

1. Turn the ignition OFF.
  2. Disconnect the rear wiper/washer switch.
  3. Connect a test lamp from the accessory voltage circuit terminal in the rear wiper/washer switch harness connector to a good ground.
  4. Turn the ignition ON, with the engine OFF.

Does the test lamp illuminate?

Go to Step 18

Go to Step 11

11

Repair the accessory voltage circuit for an open or short to ground. Refer to Circuit Testing and to Wiring Repairs .

Is the repair complete?

Go to Step 22

--

12

Does the rear wipers operate when the rear washer switch is pressed?

Go to Step 13

Go to Step 16

13

1. Turn the ignition OFF.
  2. Disconnect the window wiper module-rear connector.
  3. Connect a DMM from the rear window wiper switch signal circuit terminal in the wiper motor harness connector to a good ground.
  5. Turn the rear wiper switch to the 1 and 2 positions.

Is the battery voltage present for both rear wiper switch positions?

Go to Step 20

Go to Step 14

14

Did the test lamp illuminate in any of the rear wiper switch position?

Go to Step 18

Go to Step 15

15

1. Turn the ignition OFF.
  3. Test the rear window wiper switch signal circuit for an open or short to ground. Refer to Circuit Testing and to Wiring Repairs .

Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step 22

Go to Step 18

16

1. Turn the ignition OFF.
  3. Connect a test lamp from the rear window washer switch signal circuit terminal in the wiper motor harness connector to a good ground.
  5. Press the rear washer switch.

Does the test lamp illuminate?

Go to Step 20

Go to Step 17

17

1. Turn the ignition OFF.
  3. Test the rear window washer switch signal circuit for an open or short to ground. Refer to Circuit Testing and to Wiring Repairs .

Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step 22

Go to Step 18

18

Inspect for poor connections at the rear wiper/washer switch. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and to Connector Repairs .

Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step 22

Go to Step 19

19

Replace the rear wiper/washer switch. Refer to Rear Window Wiper and Washer Switch Replacement .

Is the repair complete?

Go to Step 22

--

20

Inspect for poor connections at the rear wiper motor. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and to Connector Repairs .

Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step 22

Go to Step 21

21

Replace the rear wiper motor. Refer to Rear Window Wiper Motor Replacement .

Is the repair complete?

Go to Step 22

--

22

Operate the system in order to verify the repair.

Did you correct the condition?

System OK

Go to Step 1

Rear Wiper/Washer Control

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: FS

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I would try these trouble shooting tree's, but it reads (you are not authorized to view this information)I will work on it more tomorrow.
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
Let me know which parts you need and I can send it on over ok.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can you send me a wire diagram for the BCM?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Are you going to be able to provide me with the BCM diagram? I havn't heard anything back from you.