Wrenchtech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  40 years experience with ASE certification as Master Technician with L1--Repair Shop Owner

the trunk on my 98 Cavalier wont latch

Customer Question

the trunk on my 98 Cavalier won''t latch closed. hoe can i fix this without an expensive trip to a mechanic? the latch will close around, say, a ballpoint pen. but the trunk won''t latch closed. there doesn''t seem to be anything obstructing anything.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Wrenchtech replied 8 years ago.
It sounds like the striker is not reaching deep enough into the latch. First make sure there are no obstructions preventing the lid from closing all the way.

if not, then you can adjust the latch down a little at a time until it latches with reasonable pressure. Be sure to maintain the left and right adjustment also. When you bring the lid down slowly, watch the lid as it contacts the striker and make sure it isn't being pushed left or right.