CCTMSTR
CCTMSTR, GM Certified Master Technician
Experience:  GM Master Technician.ASE Master.Advanced Level L1. NV State G2 Emission Inspector
5436117

1999 chevy suburban: I have checked fuses, fuel pump..running fine

Customer Question

My 1999 chevy suburban won''t start. It turns over fine. I have checked fuses, fuel pump, etc., It was running fine when I last used it four days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  CCTMSTR replied 8 years ago.
open the air intake duct at the throttle body spray some carb cleaner see if it starts.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have tryed priming with gas, it runs for a second and dies. I use STP injector cleaner every other tank so I doubt it is fowled...It has been over 100 degrees here for last four days could this be an issue (I also cracked the fuel line at the fuel filter to check for pressure-lots and for vapor issues-non
Expert:  CCTMSTR replied 8 years ago.
Do you have a digital volt ohm meter ?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
no I don't
Expert:  CCTMSTR replied 8 years ago.
I understand fuel pressure seems good,BUT the amount of pressure to overcome the poppet nozzles is very specific. You need to test the fuel pressure with either a manual pressure gauge or the test the amperage draw.In the hot weather it is very common for the fuel pump to fail.I see it all the time in Vegas.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I had the fuel pump replaced about 3000 miles ago, have you seen replacment fail in so short a time or could I just be "lucky"?
Expert:  CCTMSTR replied 8 years ago.
Yes it is possible for the pump to fail in a short time.It also can be the connector terminals aren't making good contact.Again fuel pressure has to be tested.Did you check the ECM 1 fuse in the underhood bused electrical center ?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes I removed the EMC1 fuse and replaced it, contacts and fuse look good. I have no way to test fuel pressure, can I buy a pressure gauge at Shucks to test fuel pressure or is this a specialty tool...everything is closed today.
Expert:  CCTMSTR replied 8 years ago.
Yes,you can purchase a fuel pressure gauge at most auto parts suppliers.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your in-put unless you have any other ideas I'll hit accept and let you go
Expert:  CCTMSTR replied 8 years ago.
Good luck,let me know if you need additional help.Contact me on JA.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
just one more question, how and where do I check fuel pressure?
Expert:  CCTMSTR replied 8 years ago.
Under the air intake duct on the drivers side of the engine find the stainless fuel lines the go into the meter body( behind the throttle body where you sprayed fuel) on one of those lines you will see a black cap that is the pressure test port
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
could you tell me what the fuel pressure should be?
Expert:  CCTMSTR replied 8 years ago.
I am assuming you have a 5.0 or 5.7 the fuel pressure should be 55-60 psi
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks again, have a good fourth.
Expert:  CCTMSTR replied 8 years ago.

your welcome/thank you

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hey, thought I'd let you know, the fuel guage said I had 30 to 35 lbs. of pressure at the test point...you called it. Thanks again
Expert:  CCTMSTR replied 8 years ago.

your welcome