Dan, Auto Technician
Experience:  GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified

Cruise control on 2002 Pontiac Montana stopped working. The

Cruise control on 2002 Pontiac Montana stopped working. The fuse is good. Cables running to gas pedal & actuator are connected and in good condition. Is this an actuator problem or ???
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
Cruise Control Inoperative/Malfunctioning

Diagnostic Aids

Important: Perform the following in order to avoid misdiagnosis.

Inspect for proper operation of brake lamps.
Inspect throttle linkage for mechanical binding which could cause the system to malfunction.
Inspect cruise control cable adjustment, should have minimum slack.
Inspect for stored Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) in the PCM. Refer to Diagnostic System Check - Engine Controls in Engine Controls.
EMI on the speed sensor signal circuit may cause erratic cruise control operation.

Conditions for Enabling Cruise Control

When vehicle speed is more than 40 km/h (25 mph).
When PARK, REVERSE, NEUTRAL, or 1st gear is not indicated by the Park Neutral Position Switch.
When an over/undercharged battery condition does not exist.
With normal engine RPM.
Without high engine RPM e.g. fuel cut off.

Step

Action

Values

Yes

No

Schematic Reference: Cruise Control Schematics

1

Did you perform the Cruise Control Diagnostic System Check?

--

Go to Step 2

Go to Diagnostic System Check - Cruise Control

2

1. Turn OFF the ignition.
  2. Disconnect the cruise control module.
  3. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  4. Probe the ignition positive voltage circuit of the cruise control module with a test lamp that is connected to a good ground.

Does the test lamp illuminate?

--

Go to Step 3

Go to Step 36

3

Probe the ignition positive voltage circuit of the cruise control module with a test lamp that is connected to the ground circuit of the cruise control module.

Does the test lamp illuminate?

--

Go to Step 4

Go to Step 37

4

1. Turn OFF the cruise control switch.
  2. Probe the on/off, the set/coast, and the resume/accelerate circuits with a test lamp that is connected to a good ground.

Does the test lamp illuminate on any of the circuits?

--

Go to Step 16

Go to Step 5

5

1. Turn ON the cruise control.
  2. Probe the on/off circuit with a test lamp that is connected to a good ground.

Does the test lamp illuminate?

--

Go to Step 6

Go to Step 17

6

1. Probe the set/coast circuit with a test lamp that is connected to a good ground.
  2. Press and hold the SET/COAST switch.

Does the test lamp illuminate?

--

Go to Step 7

Go to Step 19

7

1. Probe the resume/accelerate circuit with a test lamp that is connected to a good ground.
  2. Press and hold the RESUME/ACCEL switch.

Does the test lamp illuminate?

--

Go to Step 8

Go to Step 20

8

Probe the brake ABS/TCC, cruise release switch circuit with a test lamp that is connected to a good ground.

Does the test lamp illuminate?

--

Go to Step 9

Go to Step 21

9

Press the brake pedal while monitoring the test lamp.

Does the test lamp illuminate?

--

Go to Step 22

Go to Step 10

10

Probe the stoplamp switch circuit with a test lamp that is connected to a good ground.

Does the test lamp illuminate?

--

Go to Step 23

Go to Step 11

11

Does the test lamp illuminate?

--

Go to Step 12

Go to Step 24

12

Probe the cruise inhibit circuit with a test lamp that is connected to B+.

Does the test lamp illuminate?

--

Go to Step 25

Go to Step 13

13

Use a scan tool in order to command the cruise inhibit OFF.

Does the test lamp illuminate?

--

Go to Step 14

Go to Step 26

14

Probe the cruise engaged signal circuit with a DMM that is connected to a good ground.

Does the voltage measure near the specified value?

B+

Go to Step 15

Go to Step 27

15

Check the speedometer for proper operation.

Does the speedometer operate properly?

--

Go to Step 28

Go to Symptoms - Instrument Panel, Gages and Console in Instrument Panel, Gages and Console

16

Test the circuit that illuminated the test lamp for a short to voltage. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

--

Go to Step 43

Go to Step 34

17

Test the on/off circuit for an open or a high resistance. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

--

Go to Step 43

Go to Step 18

18

Test the ignition positive voltage circuit for an open or high resistance between the cruise control module and the cruise control switch. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

--

Go to Step 43

Go to Step 34

19

Test the set/coast circuit for an open or a high resistance. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

--

Go to Step 43

Go to Step 34

20

Test the resume/accelerate circuit for an open or a high resistance. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

--

Go to Step 43

Go to Step 34

21

Test the brake ABS/TCC, cruise release switch circuit for an open or a high resistance. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

--

Go to Step 43

Go to Step 29

22

Test the brake ABS/TCC, cruise release switch circuit for a short to voltage. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

--

Go to Step 43

Go to Step 29

23

Test the stoplamp switch signal circuit for a short to voltage. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

--

Go to Step 43

Go to Step 30

24

Test the stoplamp switch signal circuit for an open or a high resistance. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

--

Go to Step 43

Go to Step 30

25

Test the cruise inhibit circuit for a short to ground. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

--

Go to Step 43

Go to Step 33

26

Test the cruise inhibit circuit for an open, a high resistance, or a short to voltage. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

--

Go to Step 43

Go to Step 33

27

Test the cruise engaged output circuit for an open, a high resistance, or a short to voltage. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

--

Go to Step 43

Go to Step 33

28

Test the vehicle speed signal circuit for an open or a high resistance. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

--

Go to Step 43

Go to Step 35

29

Inspect the brake ABS/TCC, cruise release switch for proper adjustment. Refer to Stop Lamp Switch Adjustment in Hydraulic Brakes.

Did you find and correct the condition?

--

Go to Step 43

Go to Step 31

30

Inspect the stoplamp switch for proper adjustment. Refer to Stop Lamp Switch Adjustment in Hydraulic Brakes.

Did you find and correct the condition?

--

Go to Step 43

Go to Step 32

31

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the brake ABS/TCC, cruise release switch. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

--

Go to Step 43

Go to Step 38

32

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the stoplamp switch. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

--

Go to Step 43

Go to Step 39

33

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the PCM. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

--

Go to Step 43

Go to Step 40

34

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the cruise control switch. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

--

Go to Step 43

Go to Step 41

35

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the cruise control module. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

--

Go to Step 43

Go to Step 42

36

Repair the ignition positive voltage circuit of the cruise control module. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you complete the repair?

--

Go to Step 43

--

37

Repair the ground circuit of the cruise control module. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you complete the repair?

--

Go to Step 43

--

38

Replace the brake ABS/TCC, cruise release switch. Refer to Stop Lamp Switch Replacement in Hydraulic Brakes.

Did you complete the replacement?

--

Go to Step 43

--

39

Replace the stoplamp switch. Refer to Stop Lamp Switch Replacement in Hydraulic Brakes.

Did you complete the replacement?

--

Go to Step 43

--

40

Important: The PCM must be programmed after replacement. Refer to Powertrain Control Module Programming in Engine Controls.

Replace the PCM. Refer to Powertrain Control Module Replacement in Engine Controls.

Did you complete the replacement?

--

Go to Step 43

--

41

Replace the multifunction turn signal lever . Refer to Multifunction, Turn Signal, and Hazard Switch Replacement - On Vehicle in Steering Wheel and Column.

Did you complete the replacement?

--

Go to Step 43

--

42

Replace the cruise control module. Refer to Cruise Control Module Replacement .

Did you complete the replacement?

--

Go to Step 43

--

43

Operate the vehicle within the conditions for cruise control operation.

Does the cruise control system operate correctly?

--

System OK

Go to Step 2

Dan, Auto Technician
Experience: GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified