Triston
Triston, MASTER ASE CERTIFIED
Experience:  10 YRS. EXP. ASE CERTIFIED SPECIALIZE IN ALL ELECTRICAL AND A/C ALSO AND ENGINE PERFORMANCE

2003 chevy: overheating..new waterpump..checked good

2003 chevy van overheating. new waterpump/new thermostat/pressure checked good. any ideas? thanks don
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Triston replied 6 years ago.

IF THE COOLING FAN IS ELECTRICAL AND NOT WORKING, MAKE SURE FUSES ARE GOOD AND SWAP OUT THE RELAYS, IF STILL NOT WORKING REPLACE THE FAN. IF MECHANICAL FAN, START TRUCK, RUN THE ENGINE AT 2000 RPM FOR 2 MINUTES WITH THE HOOD OPEN AND UP, AS FAST AS YOU CAN TURN OFF THE ENGINE AND LOOK AT THE FAN, IF IT'S STILL SPINNING REPLACE THE FAN IF NOT LOOK FOR SOMETING STUCK ON THE FRONT OF THE GRIILE BY CONDENSOR, MAKE SURE THERES NO AIR BUBBLES IN THE COLANT SYSTEM, ALSO WHILE THE ENGINE IS HOT AND THE HEATER BLOWING HOT AIR FEEL HOSES AND RADIATOR FOR A WARM TO COOL SPOT, THIS INDICATE A AIR POCKET OR BLOCKAGE. IF ALL OK SUSPECT HEAD GASKETS. I HOPE I HELEPD AND PLEASE ACCEPT IF SATISFIED. THANKS T-MAN

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
CLUTCH FAN IS NEW AS WELL. IS THERE SOMEKIND OF BLEEDER IN THE SYSTEM. THERE ARE NO BLOCKAGES, WATER FLOW SEEMS GOOD.
Expert:  Triston replied 6 years ago.

i hope this helped and please accept if satisfied. thanks T-MAN

Engine Overheating

Step

Action

Yes

No

1

Inspect for a missing or damaged radiator side or upper baffle and/or radiator air deflector.

Is the baffle and/or deflector missing or damaged?

Go to Step 8

Go to Step 2

2

Inspect for a loss of coolant.

Is there a loss of coolant?

Go to Step 3

Go to Step 4

3

Fill the system to the specified level.

Does the engine overheat?

Go to Step 4

System OK

4

Inspect for low temperature protection.

Is the coolant to the correct concentration?

Go to Step 5

Go to Step 8

5

Inspect for a loss of cooling system pressure.

Is there a loss of system pressure?

Go to Step 8

Go to Step 6

6

Inspect for a faulty engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor. Refer to DTC P0117 and DTC P0118 .

Is the sensor operating properly?

Go to Step 7

Go to Step 8

7

Inspect for the following:

Damaged coolant surge tank
Leaking hose
Bad/incorrect surge tank or radiator cap

Were any of the above found?

Go to Step 8

Go to Step 10

8

Repair or install new parts as necessary, then retest.

Does the engine overheat?

Go to Step 9

System OK

9

Inspect for incorrect drive belt tension.

Is the belt tension correct?

Go to Step 10

Go to Step 8

10

1. Remove the water pump. Refer to Water Pump Replacement .
  2. Inspect for a damaged water pump shaft/hub.

Is the water pump driveshaft damaged or is the seal leaking?

Go to Step 8

Go to Step 11

11

Inspect for obstructed radiator air flow or bent radiator fins.

Is the radiator air flow obstructed?

Go to Step 8

Go to Step 12

12

Inspect for blocked cooling system passages.

Are the cooling system passages blocked?

Go to Step 8

Go to Step 13

13

Inspect for inoperative fan clutch. Refer to Fan Clutch Diagnosis .

Is the fan clutch operating correctly?

Go to Step 14

Go to Step 8

14

Inspect the thermostat. Refer to Thermostat Diagnosis .

Is the thermostat stuck in the closed position?

Go to Step 15

Go to Step 16

15

Replace the thermostat. Refer to Engine Coolant Thermostat Housing Replacement .

Does the engine overheat?

Go to Step 16

System OK

16

Inspect the radiator cooling capacity.

Is the proper sized radiator being used on the vehicle?

Go to Step 3

Go to Step 17

17

Consult the current parts catalog and replace the radiator. Refer to Radiator Replacement .

Is the repair complete?

System OK

Triston, MASTER ASE CERTIFIED
Experience: 10 YRS. EXP. ASE CERTIFIED SPECIALIZE IN ALL ELECTRICAL AND A/C ALSO AND ENGINE PERFORMANCE