Joe, Driveability expert
Experience:  23 years import and domestic auto repair.

1988 chevy p30: wiring diagram..neutral safety switch..starter

Customer Question

looking for wiring diagram for neutral safety switch for 1988 chevy p30. (i think purple wire goes to starter and yellow to ignition) Also, what are those two wires called so i can replace them?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Joe replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer Here are two wire diagrams. The first is for the parcel delivery van, second is non parcel vehicle, Either way the yellow wire is 12V+ from the ignition switch, and purple is 12V+ going to starter solenoid. Any more questions please ask.graphicgraphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
my problem is smoke is coming from yellow wire off nuetral safety switch which is cauing a no start. Any ideas?

Note prior owner did some crazy wiring he had yellow wire spliced one going to neutral switch other looks like going to fuse box not sure? Even after taking away splice and running yellow wire straight from ignition switch to neutral switch caused spark/smoke.
Expert:  Joe replied 8 years ago.
It is possible that the neutral safety switch is shorted. Does the short go away when you unplug the neutral switch? If so, I would suspect the switch is shorted.