Wrenchtech
Wrenchtech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  40 years experience with ASE certification as Master Technician with L1--Repair Shop Owner

Where is the fuel pressure sensor located on a 1997 ...

Where is the fuel pressure sensor located on a 1997 Chevy Cavalier 2.2 litre??
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Wrenchtech replied 6 years ago.
There is no component by that name.
What are you trying to fix?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I was told at auto Zone that the problem was most likely the fuel pressure sensor that regulates the fuel to the motor. I ordered one on line and have it but have no idea where it's located. I've been from every connection on the motor the whole way under the car and to the filter and tank. What I have here is called sensor# XXXXX which is about 4 inches long and has a 3 prong electric fitting at one end and a rubber threaded fitting that points in a 90 degree angle at the other end.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The problem I am having is the car won't start unless I give it full throttle and pump the throttle to keep it going and then it finally runs smooth at an idle but when you accelerate it misses and back fires but ran fine untill this. It has a new fuel pump and new fuel filter and new air cleaner, and the injectors are all working fine!!
First of all, don't ever take any advice from anyone in AutoZone. They are not trained technicians but merely part time cashiers that think they are mechanics.

There is nothing in that system called a fuel pressure sensor. There is a fuel pressure regulator but there is nothing electric about it. It used vacuum to measure load and regulate pressure.

The first thing you need to do is hook up a fuel pressure guage and drive it or run it with that hooked up so you can monitor the pressure when the problem occurs to determine if your problem is even related to fuel.

If your getting a check engine light, then you need to retreive the codes also.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I wish I could send you an attachment,because I am holding what is called a fuel pressure sensor that I bought for a 1997 Cavalier at a auto parts store on line for $39.95
Can you send me a link to the part at the site you bought it from?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I just sent you an attachment with picture of it.
I don't know where you sent it butn you can send one here unless you sent it to customer service.

You can upload it here though buy clicking on the icon with a tree on it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
graphic
LOL........ That's a MAP sensor. (Manifold Absolute Pressure)
It measures vacuum, not fuel pressure.
That doesn't look like the right one for your truck though.

graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well it calls it a fuel pressure sensor at the auto parts and on the box,but don't have a truck!! 97 Cavalier--2.2 litre--4 cylinder
It's also possible that could be a Fuel tank pressure sensor.

For emissions purposes, the PCM monitors the fuel tank pressure but that would have absolutely no bearing on how the car ran. That's just vapor emissions.

That's located on top of the fuel tank. The tank has to be removed to access it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK Just one more question then I'll accept your answer so you are paid---what would cause it to run just fine,but then out of the clear blue sky it won't start unless you pump the heck out of it and then have to play to keep it running but then in a minute it idles fine but when you rev it it has a distinct miss and a backfire but has a new air filter,new fuel filter,new fuel pump and no engine check light and I put injector cleaner in it and all the injectors are working fine and all vaccumm hoses and electric connections are tight?? It's my work car and don't wan't to get into a lot of expense.
That's not a one response question but you need to know exactly what your fuel pressure is before going any further.
Wrenchtech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 40 years experience with ASE certification as Master Technician with L1--Repair Shop Owner