GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

97 malibu: turn instrument lamp test lights come..head lights

Customer Question

My 97 Malibu won''t start. When I turn key in the ignition to start, I hear a click from the engine fuse block, but no instrument lamp test lights come on. The battery is good because the parking and head lights are bright.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 8 years ago.
With the key in the on position is there any security indicators on in the instrument panel?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No. Instrument panel is dead.
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 8 years ago.
Do you have access to a voltmeter? Does the starter relay click when you turn the key from off to start?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes and Yes.
ICC Enable Relay clicks. I check the voltage at the Ign SW-Batt1 fuse and it measures 12vdc through both sides of the fuse and bounces below 12v(temporary)when Ign is turned to start.
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 8 years ago.
Ok are you finding that the fuel pump is cycling when you turn the key from off to on?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No cycling of fuel pump.
One more note: This happened 3 weeks ago. On the 3rd day of it being dead, I checked all fuses (good) and rotated as well as cleaned the contact feet of the Maxi fuses, and the car started. It worked for 3 weeks. Its(the car)now dead again for 3 days. Yesterday my son said it started once after he rotated the Ign SW Batt2 and the L/H Bec Batt1 fuses. But he said he didn't try to start the car before he rotated the fuses, so he can't say if that fix the problem.