2006 Chevy Impala: the gear shift is stuck in park

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Chevy Impala and the gear shift is stuck in park. I have tried everything any suggestions?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 8 years ago.
Do your brake lights operate? Is this a floor shift or column shift?
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 8 years ago.
I see that you are not online. Your car is equipped with a feature that stops you from shifting into a drive gear without having your foot on the brake pedal. The brake lights working will tell you if the brake switch is in tact and working. From there, we really need to access the solenoid in the shifter that allows for the shift to be made. We will need to check for voltage at this point. If you would like to go on, let me know and I will further assist you. In most cases, the complete shifter needs to be replaced do to this faulty solenoid. Feel free to contact me with any questions or if you would like to get into the testing! Good luck!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The break lights work fine and it has a column shift. Do you still think it is a faulty solenoid?
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 8 years ago.

It very well could be the solenoid. This is why we really need to test for voltage at the solenoid. Here is a blow up of the column. Note #55. This is where we need to really start the test.

Object Number: 597704  Size: LF

Keep in mind that if there is no voltage to this point, we may need to use a class 2 scan tool to verify poper operation of the components involved. There will be two wires, one will be black. The black wire should be a constant ground. There will also be a dark green with white stripe wire. this wire needs to have voltage when the key is on and the brake pedal is pressed. Feel free to contact me with any questions! Good luck!