Dan, Auto Technician
Experience:  GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified
4976144

Where is the AC orifice tube filter located on a 1999 ...

Customer Question

Where is the AC orifice tube filter located on a 1999 Chev Surburban, 4x4, gas eng, with front and rear air. I have check both connections at the condensor in the grill neither had a orifice tube, also checked the lines at the accululator nothing there either. Begging to think i dont have one.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.

Depending on which system you have here is the location for that ok.

Expansion (Orifice) Tube Replacement (C60)

Removal Procedure

Tools Required

J 26549-E Orifice Tube Remove and Installer

1. Recover the refrigerant. Refer to Refrigerant Recovery and Recharging .
  2. Remove the grille. Refer to Air Inlet Grille Panel Replacement .
    Object Number: 258002  Size: SH
  3. Disconnect the evaporator tube from the condenser (1). Refer to Evaporator Tube Replacement .
  4. Remove the O-ring seal.
  5. Cap or plug the open line.
  6. Use the J 26549-E in order to remove the expansion (orifice) tube (3) from the condenser outlet pipe (2).

In the event of difficulty during the removal or a restricted or plugged expansion (orifice) tube, take the following steps:

6.1. Remove as much of any impacted residue as possible.

Important: Do not overheat the pipe.

6.2. Carefully apply heat with a heat gun (hair drier, epoxy drier, or similar item) approximately 7 mm (0.25 in) from the dimples on the inlet pipe.
    6.3. While applying the heat, use the J 26549-E in order to grip the expansion orifice tube.
    6.4. Use a turning motion along with a push-pull motion in order to loosen the impacted expansion (orifice) tube.

Remove the tube.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 258002  Size: SH

1. Use the J 26549-E in order to install the expansion tube (3) into the condenser outlet pipe (2).
  2. Install the new O-ring seal.
    2.1. Coat the O-ring seal with 525 viscosity refrigerant oil.
    2.2. Insert the short screen end of the new orifice into the evaporator tube.
  3. Connect the evaporator tube to the condenser. Refer to Evaporator Tube Replacement .
  4. Install the grille. Refer to Air Inlet Grille Panel Replacement .
  5. Charge the system. Refer to Refrigerant Recovery and Recharging .
  6. Inspect the system for leaks. Refer to Leak Testing
  7. .Expansion (Orifice) Tube Replacement (C69)

Removal Procedure

Tools Required

J 26549-E Orifice Tube Remover and Installer

2. Remove the air cleaner assembly, if necessary.
      Object Number: 258004  Size: SH

3. Disconnect the evaporator tube (4) connection near the junction block (6).
    4. Remove the O-ring seal (4).
    5. Cap or plug the open line.
    6. Use the J 26549-E in order to remove the orifice tube (1) from the evaporator tube.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 258004  Size: SH
    1. Use the J 26549-E in order to install the orifice tube (1) into the evaporator tube (3).
    2. Coat the new O-ring seal (4) with 525 viscosity refrigeration oil.
    3. Install the new O-ring seal.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

4. Connect the evaporator tube connection (6).

Tighten
      Tighten the tube connection to 24 N·m (18 lb ft).

6. Inspect the system for leaks. Refer to Leak Testing .
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Dan's Post: The Tube is not in either of the two locations indicated. I have removed the lines in both locations and there was not a tube in the line(s) where indicated. What now?
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
Does it look like one was there previously?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
To be honest no, the vehicle was purchased from the dealer, as new we have been the only owner and never had AC work until now. Like i said i have opened the line at the condensor the botXXXXX XXXXXne behind the right parking light, then found the connection at the right inside finder opened that line and nothing there. I checked the lines to the dryer nothing there when i replaced the dryer. The lines leading to the compressor did not have a location either. the top line to the condensor has an S bend which would not allow the installation of a tube due to the short width and bends. There is one more connection directly under the dryer going back to the rear air but if it is in that location then only the rear would benefit so i have not opened that line connection. the vehicle either does not have one or it was never installed.

Let me know what you think.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I also have now re opened the lines as indicated in the above details showing the locations and actually look into each line and tried to insert the orific to see if the tube would accept it. The tube on the condensor would accept on the section going into the condensor but the upper line would not accept the top and then sealing it would be an issue. This looks like where one would go and is the only place but it defiently does not fit here. I do not think this vehicle every had one nor needs one.