Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION

cavalier: specs and order to adjust the rocker arms

Customer Question

90 2.2 cavalier what is the specs and order to adjust the rocker arms.thnx
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.

Here is what I have got for valve adjustment on your engine.

• Adjust the valves when the lifter is on the base circle of a camshaft lobe:

1. Crank the engine until the mark on the crankshaft pulley lines up with the O mark on the timing tab. Make sure that the engine is in the No. 1 firing position. Place your fingers on the No. 1 rocker arms as the mark on the crank pulley comes near the O mark. If the valves are not moving, the engine is in the No. 1 firing position. If the valves move, the engine is in the No. 4 firing position; rotate the engine one complete revolution and it will be in the No. 1 position.

2. When the engine is in the No. 1 firing position, adjust the following valves: Exhaust - 1,3 Intake - 1,2

3. Back the adjusting nut out until lash can be felt at the pushrod, then turn the nut until all lash is removed (this can be determined by rotating the pushrod while turning the adjusting nut). When all lash has been removed, turn the nut in 11/2 additional turns, this will center the lifter plunger.

4. Crank the engine one complete revolution until the timing tab and the O mark are again in alignment. Now the engine is in the No. 4 firing position. Adjust the following valves: Exhaust - 2,4 Intake - 3,4

• Feel free to contact me with any questions! Good luck!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    were will be the o mark.
    Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
    This mark should be on the balancer on the crankshaft.
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    ok and wat should they be tightened to.Clearence wise.On the feler gauge?
    Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
    well the first thign you want to do is to take them to zero lash. To do this you will simply tighten the nut by hand until you can no longer spin the push rod by hand. Then you will want to turn the nut 1.5 turns. This will set the rockers as they should be. Then you will need to move to the nex one and do the same.
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    it a new motor breaking in does that make a difference.
    Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
    That should not make a difference. You may want to verify that the lifters have all been soaked in oil and that you are using cam prelube is being used if the cam is new.
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    it was put it geather by a enigine builder it for a 4cly race car.
    Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
    Then I would check with him to verify if he recommends cam prelube. The rocker setting should not have anything to do with a break in type situation.
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    ok i ran on it and there chattering.
    Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
    Have you soaked them in oil? I try to soak them, but sometimes i have found it best to use an oil can and actually pump oil into the oiling holes. This fills the lifters up so that they do not make the noise as you have had.
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    they were pre soaked be4 the motor was put togeather.I run a thicker oil 15w-40 10w 30 broke down to quick.
    Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.

Has this cylinder head been cut down? And mody that would affect the deck height or cylinder head mounting height?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    the block was deked cuz it had some rust.It was a weberacing cam 110 degree lob seperation.bored 40 over
    Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
    Do you know how much the deck height was cut? Do you ave the cam card for your cam? Does it specify a particular ratio rocker arm?
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    it was will work with stock rock arms and specs and it was very slight i ten thouseth on a in it was enough to smooth it out cuz of the rust.
    Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
    Have you been able to verify any oil flow to the lifters, push rods, and rocker arms?
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    yea i pulled the rock cover there is oil all over the rockers and in the head i turn it over it squirting oil out.It has 6 races on it and they just started chattering.it hold about 95lb of oil pressure.When im im high rpm.
    Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
    Well I really am out of ideas. You are getting oil and so on, the lifters should be staying pumped up. I am not sure what else I can tell you. I am going to opt out to see if any other experts have any additional info that I may be missing! Good luck!
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    thnx.