Steve
Steve, Service Manager
Experience:  25+ Years experience as a professional working automotive technician; ASE L1 master technician
157173

im trying to recharge my a/c on my 2005 Malibu.

i''m trying to recharge my a/c on my 2005 Malibu. I used one of those kits, and now my compressor keeps cycling off and on in short intervals and blows nothing but hot air...did I do something wrong or is this typical when using those kits?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Steve replied 8 years ago.

Hello!

If the compressor is cycling on and off fairly frequently, that is an indication that the refrigerant level in the system is very low. I would suggest adding more refrigerant. the refrigerant capacity of your system is 22 ounces, so if you are using 12 ounce cans and do not lose any during the connection process it will take almost 2 full cans to recharge your A/C system. If you lost any while bleeding the hose or making the connection, you may need more than 2 cans.