John, Master A.S.E Automotive technician
Experience:  A.S.E MasterTechnician A1-A8 w/L1,38 years experience General Motors Master Technician
6408229

2008 Cobalt: oil changes..the Oil Life indicator but the Owner

I like doing my own oil changes and recently completed one on my 2008 Cobalt. I would like to reset the Oil Life indicator but the Owner''s Manual does not provide direction other than to see a dealer. Can you help?

HelloCustomer

Try this proceedure :

To reset the Engine Oil Life System, do the following:

1. Turn the ignition to RUN with the engine OFF.
  2. Press the information (INFO) and RESET buttons on the Driver Information Center (DIC) at the same time to enter the personalization menu.
  3. Press the INFO button to scroll through the available personalization menu modes until the DIC display shows OIL-LIFE RESET.
  4. Press and hold the reset button until the DIC display shows ACKNOWLEDGED. This will tell you the system has been reset.
  5. Turn the key to LOCK.

If the CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message comes back on when you start the vehicle, the Engine Oil Life System has not reset. Repeat the procedure.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to john's Post: Perfect...Thank-you very much!!!
You are very welcome,please come again.