Dan, Auto Technician
Experience:  GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified

2002 Monte Carlo SS: only start..every once..disable..passlock

Customer Question

my 2002 Monte Carlo SS will only start every once in a while. I want to disable the security passlock. how can I do this?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 8 years ago.
There is no way to disable or eliminate the passlock system as it incorporates the BCM, PCM, IPC and all related wiring/relays. They all rely on the theft system inputs and outputs to start and run the car. Have you replaced or diagnosed anything yet? Any trouble codes setting?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
NO, nothing yet. This is a common problem with the Monte Carlo's. The car will not even make a sound at all when you put the key in and turn it on. But every once in a while it will start. There is also a ticking noise under the dash. Everything I read says it is the passlock or passkey doing it. They also say you can put resistors on a wire under the dash to bypass.
Expert:  Dan replied 8 years ago.
You could on older systems but these newer cars can't be tricked. Try this 30 minute relearn procedure and if it works great but if not it probably will need the passlock sensor. They tend to fail and not read the key properly causing the intermittent no-start condition.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What do you mean by '30 minute relearn procedure'

I loved my Monte Carlo when I got it but now I hate it. I will never buy another Chevrolet product again.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Sorry, my system blue screened. Did you get my last question?
Expert:  Dan replied 8 years ago.

Oh sorry, forgot to send. Whoops. Here you go.

30 Minute Learn Procedure

Tools Required

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).

Important: The vehicle learns the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

6. Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or password).
  7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed (history DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles).