Wrenchtech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  40 years experience with ASE certification as Master Technician with L1--Repair Shop Owner

How to tell if a car is out of time?

Customer Question

Changed the plugs and wires, after that the car kept backfiring and wanting to stall going up hill. Last night car died When we tried to start it small fire in air cleaner. Changed plugs again.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Wrenchtech replied 8 years ago.
How many miles are on that engine.?

Have you taken a compression test?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
150.675 miles. No we haven't taken a compression check yet. Car ran great until the plugs were changed last weekend.
You'd have to take a compression test to know if the timing chain jumped but I really doubt that. the symptoms don't indicate that.

I would concentrate on the firing order or a problem with the plugs you installed.

Here's the firing order

1995 Chevrolet Lumina
3.1 liter V-6 VIN "M"

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Would that make the car not start now? It was running really rough and now its not running at all. Turns over but there but won't fire. There is spark and gas coming from the injectors to the trottle body.
You did all this by replacing spark plugs so you just need to go back over everything you did. If you used any non-OEM plugs, take them out.

I just noticed it was an APV and not a car so here is the correct firing order.

1995 Chevrolet Lumina APV
3.1 liter V- VIN "D"