Brandon, ASE certified GM technician
Experience:  GM dealership technician, ASE master certified, world-renowned tech/automotive college graduate

2004 Suburban: 100K miles..I went and bought new spark plugs for it

I have a 2004 Suburban at 100K miles. I went and bought new spark plugs for it. Of course like a novice, I have never changed them before. I can''t seem to get the spark plug wires off so I can change the spark plugs. Is there any trick to it? Anything I should know? I noticed there is a metal jacket around the wire, does that come off?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Brandon replied 8 years ago.
Take a flat-bladed screwdriver (6-8 inches long) go down to the metal jacket and try to pry it outwards at the same time you're holding the sparkplug wire. So basically you're trying to pull the wire and the metal jacket at the same time. It does take quite a bit of force. When you are prying on the metal jacket it should pop the whole unit off- wire and metal jacket.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
So put the screw driver down at the base of the metal jacket and the block if I am understanding you right?
Expert:  Brandon replied 8 years ago.

Yes, you are correct. Pry it outwards, trying to remove the metal jacket and boot at the same time.

Good luck!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
So far so good, I have changed 3 out of 8 so far. I am having problem getting to the last spark plug up against the firewall. I can't get the screw driver back there. It's on the passenger side. Any ideas? Also, my throttle body has a lot of carbon build up. I bought some stuff at O'Reilly's to clean it with. Is it okay to just spray it in there, or should I remove the throttle body?
Expert:  Brandon replied 8 years ago.

The best way to do that is to wrap the wire around your hand, and try to grab ahold of the very beginning of it at the plug, move it side-to-side and up-and-down and try to go in a circular motion while trying to pull it out.

Take a rag, wet the rag, and wipe the throttle body out. The only problem with spraying it in there is that it will sometimes cause your SES to come on.