Dan, Auto Technician
Experience:  GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified
4976144

The Track light will not go off.

Customer Question

The Track light will not go off. What is the problem
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
Have you scanned the ABS system for trouble codes or is the ABS light also illuminated?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Dan's Post: the ABS Light is NOT on
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.

This bulletin pertains to a condition you may be having.

#04-05-25-007: ABS Warning Light On, Traction Off Warning Light On, DTCs C1223 and C1225 Set (Replace Left Front ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Jumper Harness) - (May 26, 2004)

Subject:ABS Warning Light On, Traction Off Warning Light On, DTCs C1223 and C1225 Set (Replace Left Front ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Jumper Harness)

Models:2003-2004 Chevrolet Cavalier
2003-2004 Pontiac Sunfire

Condition

Some customers may comment that the ABS warning light and/or Traction Off warning light is illuminated. Upon investigation, the technician may find ABS codes (C1223 - C1225) set as intermittent or hard failures.

Cause

The cause of this condition may be the front wheel speed sensor jumper harness. The harness may check good with the voltmeter, but will not function correctly when subjected to suspension movement, vibration, and flexing.

Correction

Visually inspect the left front ABS wheel speed sensor harness connector. The wires may become unseated from the connector. This is especially important on the left side. If the wiring is faulty, replace the harness using the procedure listed below.

1. Raise and support the vehicle.
  2. Unclip the 3 forward harness routing clips. These clips will be used on the new harness.
  3. Remove the remaining 2 harness routing clips from the control arm. The new harness includes these 2 clips for locating purposes.
  4. Disconnect the wheel speed sensor connector.
  5. Route the new harness into position and install clips.
  6. On the old harness, cut the tape, pull back the conduit, and cut the wire harness to length.
  7. Strip the wire ends, splice the wires using the provided splice clips. Put back in conduit and tape.
  8. Lower the vehicle.

Parts Information

Part Number

Description

12187091

Wire, Wheel Speed Sensor

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Dan, Auto Technician
Experience: GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Dan's Post: The Car is driving fine. This sounds very expensive for little or nothing. This just happened today for the first time.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is this a DANGEROUS problem
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
No, it just disables the ABS system and you have normal braking like a vehicle before ABS. They are harness replacements that are fairly simple to replace on both front wheels. For roughly $100 in parts and an hour of labor this problem would be solved and your car would be fixed (and have ABS).
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
But the ABS light ISN"T on??? What does the Low Trac Light have to do with that?
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.

The two systems are tied together. Here is a brief description ok.

Traction Control System (TCS) (NW7)

When drive wheel slip is noted while the brake is not applied, the EBCM will enter traction control mode.

The EBCM requests the PCM to reduce the amount of torque to the drive wheels via serial data messages. The PCM reduces torque to the drive wheels by retarding spark timing and turning off fuel injectors. The PCM reports the amount torque delivered to the drive wheels via serial data messages.

ABS Indicator

The IPC illuminates the ABS indicator when the following occurs:

The electronic brake control module (EBCM) detects a malfunction with the antilock brake system. The IPC receives a class 2 message from the EBCM requesting illumination.
The IPC performs the displays test at the start of each ignition cycle. The indicator illuminates for approximately 3 seconds.
The IPC detects a loss of class 2 communications with the EBCM.

Traction Control System Indicator(s)

Low Traction

The IPC illuminates the low traction indicator when the following occurs:

The electronic brake control module (EBCM) detects a traction control event. The IPC receives a class 2 message from the EBCM requesting illumination.

Traction Off

The IPC illuminates the traction off indicator when the following occurs:

The electronic brake control module (EBCM) inhibits the traction control system. The IPC receives a class 2 message from the EBCM requesting illumination. The traction control system is disabled when the following occurs:
- For Chevrolet only, the shift lever is in FIRST (1) or SECOND (2) gear. The EBCM receives a class 2 message from the powertrain control module (PCM) indicating the gear position.
- For Pontiac and Oldsmobile only, the body control module (BCM) detects that the traction control switch is pressed (signal circuit is low). The EBCM receives a class 2 message from the BCM indicating the switch status.
- The BCM detects that the park brake is engaged (signal circuit is low) and that the engine is on. The EBCM receives a class 2 message from the BCM indicating the park brake status.
- The PCM detects certain malfunctions and is unable to perform torque reduction requests from the EBCM. The EBCM receives a class 2 message from the PCM indicating that traction control cannot be performed.
The EBCM detects a malfunction in the traction control system. The IPC receives class 2 messages from the EBCM requesting illumination of both the service vehicle soon and traction off indicators.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay, so I'm out 200-275 dollars if I do this...:>(.   Thanks for the information.
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
Yes, that's a rough estimate. Good luck and let me know if there's anything else I can do ok. You are very welcome.