Eric, Master Technician/shop foreman
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, 25 years experience, Over400 General Motors certifications

1999 chevy cavalier: Third brake light in rear window..marker lights

I have a 1999 chevy cavalier. Third brake light in rear window is working. Rear marker lights on each side are working. Brake lights and marker lights on rear trunk lid do not work. Reverse lights do work. Any suggestions on what to look for?
Hi, do you access to a test light?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes I do. But i'm still a work and won't be at home for a few hours. I'm trying to get an idea what to look for when I get there.
Okay, thats fine, Here are a couple things to check. First make sure the stop/hazard fuse is not blown, If that is okay, then unplug the stoplamp switch connector(its on brake pedal arm) and hook your test light to a good ground. Now probe terminal A and you should light the test light.(This is the power from the fuse you already checked)If it lights there, then take a piece of wire and jump from that wire to the one next to it. See if the stop lamps light up. Let me know what you find. Thanks Eric
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks Eric, I will check soon as I get home and let you know what I find.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Eric, I did what you told me to do. I have power on the orange wire to the switch from the fuse. I used a jumper wire across to the white wire and the only thing that will work is the box light in the rear window. Lamps on the trunk lid do not light except for the reverse lights. Can you add anymore sugestions?
Okay, since we have power in and out of the brake switch the power then flows next to the multifunction switch in the steering column. At base of column there is a big connector with many wires. Plug brake switch in again and make sure everything else is hooked up, Then look for a white wire going into the column. Hook test light to ground, and probe white wire WHILE brake switch is pushed . You should have power there also, If you do then you have a bad multifunction switch. Let me know what you find. Thanks Eric
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Eric, I you are calling the multifunction switch the unit for turning the headlights on, the turn signals, the hi lo dimmer, and the hazard lights, I took the two plugs out and probed the white wire. I do have power at the plug on the white wire.

Yes the multifunction switch contains the turn signal lever,hazard switch,etc, The circiuts for the brake lights run through it. The third brake works because it runs a different path, so you always have at least that brake lamp. If you wanna check a little deeper, i believe a yellow wire coming out of the switch goes to left side and a green wire goes to right side, we know you have power going in on the white wire, If you do have power on those wires, then your problem may be in the back of the car or a wiring harness problem somewhere. If it turns out to be the multifunction switch, here is the removal procedure. You can get by without taking off the wheel if you can get a small wrench on the front bolt, with covers removed. Remember all plugs have to be connected to check the yellow and green wire.

Multifunction, Turn Signal, and Hazard Switch Replacement - On Vehicle

Removal Procedure

Caution: Unless directed otherwise, the ignition and start switch must be in the OFF or LOCK position, and all electrical loads must be OFF before servicing any electrical component. Disconnect the negative battery cable to prevent an electrical spark should a tool or equipment come in contact with an exposed electrical terminal. Failure to follow these precautions may result in personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Disable the supplemental inflatable restraints (SIR). Refer to Disabling the SIR System in SIR.
  3. Remove the steering wheel. Refer to Steering Wheel Replacement
  4. Remove the steering column shrouds. Refer to Steering Column Trim Cover Replacement - On Vehicle .

Object Number: 307332  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above imageidth=
  5. Remove the 2 Torx® head screws from the multifunction switch (2).
  6. Disconnect the electrical connectors from the multifunction switch (2).
  7. Remove the multifunction switch (2) from the steering column.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 307332  Size: SH
  1. Install the multifunction switch (2) to the steering column.
  2. Connect the electrical connectors to the multifunction switch (2).

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

3. Install the 2 Torx® head screws to the multifunction switch (2).

Tighten the screws to 6 N·m (53 lb in).

4. Install the steering column shrouds. Refer to Steering Column Trim Cover Replacement - On Vehicle .
  5. Install the steering wheel. Refer to Steering Wheel Replacement .
  6. Enable the SIR system. Refer to Enabling the SIR System in SIR
  7. Connect the negative battery cable.
  8. Ensure that the multifunction switch functions properly

Let me know if you need further assistance. Thanks Eric

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Great job! I replaced the multifunction switch and got all break lights back. For some reason tough I lost the daytime running lights. I have no idea why. If you have an idea, let me know. I will wait to hear from you and then except your answer. If you have no idea why, thats ok. They are not that important to me anyway. Thanks for youre help.

Hmm im not sure about the drl. Does it have the drl indicator on the dash lighting up? Is the emergency brake on or off? Try it both ways. Not sure, we can dig into it if you like. Let me know, Please click on accept if this has helped you. Thanks Eric