RussMasterTech
RussMasterTech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  19 years of GM Dealership experience. ASE Master with L1 and GM Master Certified in Electrical
9377736

2008 IMPALA: THE BRAKE DOWN AND MAKING SURE THE SHIFT IS IN PARK

I HAVE A 2008 IMPALA, AND THE KEY IS STUCK IN THE IGNITION!! I TRIED HOLDING THE BRAKE DOWN AND MAKING SURE THE SHIFT IS IN PARK, CAN YOU HELP?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  RussMasterTech replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

I found that GM is unsure at this time what is causing this to happen. The most commonly diagnosed component is the shifter, but they are finding no problem with the shifters when they are returned to the factory for analysis. I will attach an engineering investigation that I found that may help you. You could try following all the steps and see if anything jumps out at you. If you find anything that doesn't work the way the document states, let me know and I may be able to help.

If you are under warranty still, it may be best to leave it the way it is so a GM dealer can document all the diagnostic steps they are calling out. This may or may not help the factory figure out what is going on. I know it's not your job to help GM fix the cars, but for a good repair, it may be the way to go.

I'll attach the document to the bottom of this answer.

Hope this helps you get things figured out.

If this is the information you were looking for, please make sure to click the "Accept" button so I may receive the credit for helping you today. Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Russ

#08-07-30-007A: EI08045 - Key Cannot be Removed from Ignition with Gear Selector in Park, Shifter Cannot be Moved From Park Position (Engineering Information) - (Apr 8, 2008)

Subject:EI08045 -- Key Cannot Be Removed from Ignition with Gear Selector in Park, Shifter Cannot Be Moved From Park Position (Engineering Information)

Models:2007-2008 Chevrolet Impala

Attention: Proceed with this bulletin ONLY if the customer has commented about this concern AND the EI number is XXXXX in GMVIS. If the customer has not commented about this condition or the EI does not show in GMVIS, disregard the bulletin and proceed with diagnostics found in published service information. THIS IS NOT A RECALL -- refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 04-00-89-053B for more details on the use of Engineering Information bulletins.

This bulletin is being updated to revise the diagnostic steps (Steps 9 and 10) based on the technician feedback received to date. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-07-30-007 (Section 07 - Transmission/Transaxle).

Condition

Some customers may comment on either of the following conditions:

the key cannot be removed from the ignition.

the transmission gear selector (shifter) cannot be moved out of the PARK position.

Cause

GM Engineering is attempting to determine the cause of not being able to remove the key from the ignition and/or the inability to move the transmission gear selector from the PARK position. Analysis of the shifter assemblies returned through the Warranty Parts Center show NTF (No Trouble Found). Therefore, GM has a need to obtain information from the technician during diagnosis and PRIOR to repair. This information will be used by engineering to root cause the condition and develop/validate a field fix.

Complete the steps listed in the appropriate section based on the condition. Note all information on the repair order.

1. Verify the VIN and mileage recorded on the repair order is accurate.
  2. Check for evidence of a liquid spill on the shifter.
    Yes -- Proceed to Step 11.
    No -- Proceed to Step 3.
  3. In the past 45 days, has the vehicle experienced a dead battery or been towed? If yes, please explain the circumstances.
  4. Attempt to remove the key from the ignition. Record complaint verification.
  5. Attempt to shift the vehicle from the Park position to another position without stepping on the brake. Record if successful.
  6. Apply the brake and listen for a click coming from the shifter. Record if a click is heard indicating that the Brake Transmission Shift Interlock solenoid (BTSI) is firing appropriately. Note if the button fully releases.
  7. Note whether the shift knob button has full travel or if the knob button travel seems short. This might indicated a bent shift lever. Is the shift lever bent?
    Yes -- Record if the shift lever is bent forward or rearward. Proceed to Step 11.
    No -- Proceed to Step 8.
  8. Note whether simply moving the shift lever forward allows removal of the key. Can the key be removed?
    Yes -- This would indicate a misadjusted shift cable -- proceed to Step 10.
    No -- Proceed to Step 9.
  9. Engineering has found in some instances, the wiring looms are tangled, causing stress on the wires in the connector at the BTSI. If the BTSI harness is routed incorrectly, it may result in a wire pinching issue because the length of the BTSI harness becomes shorter making it difficult to install. Remove the center console in order to get access to the shifter solenoid.

Inspection/Routing of BTSI Wiring Harness/Connector

BTSI Wiring Harness Incorrectly Routed

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

9.1. Refer to graphics for incorrect routing. Inspect the routing of the wiring harness leading to the BTSI connector.

BTSI Wiring Harness Routed Correctly

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

9.2. If necessary, reroute the wiring harness (refer to graphic) and make any necessary wiring and/or connector repairs to the BTSI.

Verify Proper Key Lock/Release Function At Shifter

9.1. Make sure the shifter is in the PARK position.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

9.2. With the ignition OFF, verify the key lock switch function. Using a multimeter, check for continuity on the solenoid between terminal F (1) and terminal C (2). Is there continuity?
    Yes -- Proceed to Step 11.
    No -- Replace the control assembly. Proceed to Step 11.

Important: Cable re-adjustment is easier with two people as one can hold the shift lever in Park during adjustment of the cable.

10. Use the following procedure to re-adjust the automatic transmission shift cable.

Automatic Transmission Shift Cable Re-Adjustment

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

10.1. Place the shift lever in the PARK (P) position.
    10.2. Open the hood and locate the shift cable. The vehicle has a long two-piece cable and the adjustment for this cable is where the two pieces come together.
    10.3. Pull the black cover back to expose the natural colored lock. Unlock the lock by placing a flat head screwdriver underneath the lock ramp located at the top of the lock. The lock will pop up and the transmission end will move slightly away from the shifter end.
    10.4. Push the end of the transmission end cable inside the shifter end until the black spring on the transmission end is fully compressed. This will engage the inner wire and lock both wires together.
    10.5. Release the transmission end and allow the spring to tension/adjust the cable system.
    10.6. Pull back the black cover on the shifter end.

Caution: Do not hold the transmission end during this operation. This will result in a misadjustment.

10.7. Ensure both the shift control lever and the transmission range select levers are in the PARK position. Push the natural colored lock button down to engage the locking teeth on the transmission end.
    10.8. Release the black cover.
    10.9. Verify the black cover conceals the natural colored lock.
    10.10. Test the shift control lever in all positions for proper gear range selection. Be sure to press and release the shift knob button in Park, Reverse, Neutral and Drive positions and make sure that the button travels freely and returns outward to its normal position.
    10.11. Can the key be removed from the ignition?
    Yes -- Proceed to Step 11.
    No -- Proceed to Step 11.
Experience: 19 years of GM Dealership experience. ASE Master with L1 and GM Master Certified in Electrical