GM-Frank
GM-Frank, ASE Master Certified
Experience:  37 Years Automotive Diagnosis and Repair. 25 Years of General Motors Dealer Experience

my 1990 corvette will not start.

battery ok, new ign. switch, new key, has done this before but always started after 10 min. or so. starts if you jump cel. with remote starter, but shuts right down after starting. can''t get car out of park (automatic) even with key on and foot on brake??
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM-Frank replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

I see you replaced the ignition switch, but no Lock Cylinder is listed.

If fuel and crank are both inoperative, the PassKey system most likely has a problem.

There are two possible PassKey systems, Test the security light and see if it detects a problem.

Check Security Indicator Lamp

PASSKEY

• Does not light at all if there is an open or short in the system and the decoder module is already programmed.
  • Lights only when ignition is "ON" during lockout.
  • Lights for about two seconds as a bulb check when the ignition is turned "ON" during normal system operation.
  •  

PASSKEY II

• Flashes about once per second if there is an open or short in the system or the decoder module is unprogrammed.
    • Lights for five seconds and then goes out once a new module has been successfully programmed.
    • Flashes about once per second if there is an open or short in the system and the decoder module is already programmed.
    • Stays lit during lockout.
    • Lights for about five seconds as a bulb check when the ignition is turned to "ON" during normal system operation.
  • Something we ran into all of the time:
  • The tiny wires going from the ignition lock cylinder will break and the vehicle will not start. They run down through the column to a connector at the base of the column. Even with a new key with the correct pellet, if these wires have broken, it will not start.

Here's a quick test you can make on these tiny wires. Measure the resistance of the key pellet. Then place the key into the lock cylinder and go to the base of the column and unplug the connector from the lock cylinder and measure the resistance from there. Should be within about 10 ohms of what you measured at the key.

graphic

CRANKING/FUEL INTERRUPT

The theft deterrent system prevents starting (cranking) of the vehicle, and fuel delivery to the engine, when using any key other than the special electrically coded ignition keys supplied with the vehicle at new car delivery.
    The cranking/fuel interrupt function of the system operates independently of the alarm system and provides protection even if the alarm system is defeated or the vehicle is left unlocked.
    The system requires no active involvement from the operator to function.
    When the operator turns the ignition "OFF," cranking and engine fuel delivery are automatically disabled.
    Inserting the properly encoded key into the ignition signals the CCM to permit cranking and to transmit a "fuel enable" signal to the ECM, which in turn permits fuel delivery to the engine.
    If the key used does not have the proper electrical coding (unauthorized starting), the CCM will reset for two to four minutes (crank and fuel disabled) and not permit starting during this period even with the proper key.
    To start the vehicle, the key must have the correct mechanical and electrical coding. The ignition cylinder contains electrical contacts used to "read" the ignition key.

There are three types of theft deterent systems that may be available for these car lines.

• Universal Theft Deterent (UTD), also called Forced Entry System.
    • PASSkey(R) (or Vehicle Anti Theft System, VATS) (used from 1986 to 1992)
    • PASSkey II (used from 1992 to 1994)

NOTE: Either PASSkey(R) I and PASSkey(R) II may be used in 1992 vehicles. PASSkey(R) II systems are identical to PASSkey(R) I systems with the exception of some additional self diagnostic capabilities and differences in connector terminals. The correct system can be identified by referring to the wire color codes on the theft deterrent module.
    It is important to note that the Universal Theft Deterrent (UTD) system may be used in addition to OR in place of the PASSkey(R) systems. Refer to the individual systems in order to differentiate which systems needs to be diagnosed. These systems are diagnosed separately.

graphic

Both PASSkey(R) systems can be identified by examining the ignition key for the embedded resistor pellet

Universal Theft Deterent (UTD) can be identified by refering to the RPO label located on the vehicle. Refer to diagram for location of label by carline [2] .

Theft Deterent RPO Code [1] UA6

Remarks:
    [1] Regular production option code label for parts ordering reference.
    [2] Carline refers to the 4th digit on the Vehicle Identification Label (VIN).

graphic

graphic

If you have any questions, let me know

Thank You

Frank

GM-Frank, ASE Master Certified
    Experience: 37 Years Automotive Diagnosis and Repair. 25 Years of General Motors Dealer Experience