RussMasterTech
RussMasterTech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  19 years of GM Dealership experience. ASE Master with L1 and GM Master Certified in Electrical
9377736

2002 chevy Malibu: freon..recharged..charging

Where do install freon on a 2002 chevy Malibu. It has a bad schrader valve and needs to be recharged. What steps do I need to do to insure proper charging. Will I need to pull a vacuum and do I need freon with oil added.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  RussMasterTech replied 6 years ago.

Hello.

If the bad valve is on the low side and you don't have access to a recharging station that has high and low side fittings, you can't recharge it. You need to have a completely discharged (preferably recovered) system in order to replace the bad valve or the line that the valve is in. If it is already totally empty, you will need to replace the bad valve and then yes you will need to put a vacuum on it for at least 3 minutes. You shouldn't have to worry about adding oil unless it showed signs of leaking out the oil.

If the system is completely empty, pull the vacuum using a vacuum pump and add the amount of R134a specified on the label which should be under the hood somewhere. If you can't find your label, let me know and I can find the recharge specs for you.

If this is the information you were looking for, please make sure to click the "Accept" button so I may receive the credit for helping you today. Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Russ

Experience: 19 years of GM Dealership experience. ASE Master with L1 and GM Master Certified in Electrical
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do you pull vacuum on the low side (big line)and to which side do you install freon.

You should pull it on both sides, but the entire system will evacuate just fine if you can only pull in on the low side.

If you don't have a recharging station or a gauge set with fittings for high and low side, you are stuck charging on the low side only.

You need to charge on the low side because the compressor running is what creates the low pressure on the low side which allows the R134a to be drawn in due to the lower pressures.

Hope this helps you get thing cooling again.

Russ