Triston
Triston, MASTER ASE CERTIFIED
Experience:  10 YRS. EXP. ASE CERTIFIED SPECIALIZE IN ALL ELECTRICAL AND A/C ALSO AND ENGINE PERFORMANCE

2005 chevy malibu: the rear brake pads..removing..caliper

I need to replace the rear brake pads on a 2005 chevy malibu. I need help starting with removing the caliper. Can you help me?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Triston replied 6 years ago.

i hope i helped and please accept if satisfied and i will still be able to assist you if you need it. thanks T-MAN

Removal Procedure

1. Inspect the fluid level in the brake master cylinder reservoir.
  2. If the brake fluid level is midway between the maximum-full point and the minimum allowable level, no brake fluid needs to be removed from the reservoir before proceeding.
  3. If the brake fluid level is higher than midway between the maximum-full point and the minimum allowable level, remove brake fluid to the midway point before proceeding.
  4. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle .
  5. Remove the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation .
  6. Install and firmly hand tighten 2 wheel nuts to opposite wheel studs in order to retain the rotor to the hub.
    Object Number: 890711  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above imageidth=
  7. Remove the brake caliper lower guide pin bolt (1).
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
  8. Push the disc brake caliper piston into the caliper bore using an old inner disc brake pad and a disc brake piston installation tool.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

Notice: Support the brake caliper with heavy mechanic wire, or equivalent, whenever it is separated from its mount and the hydraulic flexible brake hose is still connected. Failure to support the caliper in this manner will cause the flexible brake hose to bear the weight of the caliper, which may cause damage to the brake hose and in turn may cause a brake fluid leak.

9. Without disconnecting the hydraulic brake flexible hose, pivot the caliper upward and secure the caliper with heavy mechanics wire (1), or equivalent.
  10. Remove the brake pads (2) from the caliper mounting bracket.
    Object Number: 891434  Size: SH
  11. Remove the brake pad retainers (2) from the caliper bracket (1).
  12. Thoroughly clean the brake pad hardware mating surfaces of the caliper bracket (1), of any debris and corrosion.
  13. Inspect the brake caliper guide pins for freedom of movement, and inspect the condition of the guide pin boots. Move the guide pins inboard and outboard within the bracket bores, without disengaging the slides from the boots, and observe for the following:
    Restricted caliper guide pin movement
    Looseness in the brake caliper mounting bracket
    Seized or binding caliper guide pins
    Split or torn boots
  14. If any of the conditions listed are found, the brake caliper guide pins and/or boots require replacement.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 891434  Size: SH
  1. Ensure the brake pad hardware mating surfaces (1) are clean.
  2. Install the brake pad retainers (2) to the brake caliper bracket.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

Important: The wear sensor equipped disc brake pad must be mounted inboard of the rotor with the leading edge of the sensor facing the brake rotor during forward wheel rotation, or at the top of the pad when installed in vehicle position.

3. Install the brake pads (2) to the caliper bracket.
  4. Remove the support (1), and rotate the brake caliper into position over the disc brake pads and to the caliper mounting bracket.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.

Object Number: 890711  Size: SH
  5. Install the lower brake caliper guide pin bolt (1).

Tighten
    Tighten the bolt to 35 N·m (26 lb ft).

6. Remove the wheel nuts retaining the brake rotor to the hub.
  7. Install the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation .
  8. Lower the vehicle.
  9. With the engine OFF, gradually apply the brake pedal approximately 2/3 of its travel distance.
  10. Slowly release the brake pedal.
  11. Wait 15 seconds, then gradually apply the brake pedal approximately 2/3 of its travel distance again until a firm brake pedal apply is obtained. This will properly seat the brake caliper pistons and brake pads.
  12. Fill the master cylinder auxiliary reservoir to the proper level. Refer to Master Cylinder Reservoir Filling .
  13. Burnish the pads and rotors. Refer to Brake Pad and Rotor Burnishing .

Triston, MASTER ASE CERTIFIED
Experience: 10 YRS. EXP. ASE CERTIFIED SPECIALIZE IN ALL ELECTRICAL AND A/C ALSO AND ENGINE PERFORMANCE