Greg A
Greg A, Master Troubleshooter
Experience:  Working with Electronics & Cars for 25+ Years
5229702

I have a 2000 Oldsmobile Silhouette and the gas gauge keeps ...

I have a 2000 Oldsmobile Silhouette and the gas gauge keeps jumping from full to the correct reading . Also the driver's and passenger windows when going down are very sluggish to a point then they go down at the normal rate, but when first activated they are sluggish for about the first 3 to 4 inches. Can you please please me some advice on what could be causing these electrical type issues with the gas gauge and the trip computer and the windows being so sluggish and would it be something I would be able to repair myself?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Greg A replied 6 years ago.

Hello & welcome back.

In most cases, the cause of the fuel gauge jumping around it the fuel level sensor which is mounted on the Fuel Pump assembly in the gas tank. I have the same situation right now in my 2001 Chevy Venture van (basically the same van as yours, but with less options). The best fix here is to have the sensor replaced. I would not really recommend replacing it yourself, unless your are comfortable emptying the fuel tank and then removing it from underneath. I would have it done by the pros. Just one note: there is a fuel level sensor "kit" that can be obtained from almost any GM dealership (Olds, Chevy, Pontiac), and the entire fuel pump assembly does NOT have to be replaced.

As for the windows, I have a trick that I have used several times on my Venture. Get a can of Silicon Spray Lubricant (right next to the WD-40 in most hardware stores), attached the little extension tube that comes with it, and spray the window guides (both front and back part) when the window is down. Give it a good soaking - about 3-4 times up and down the full length of the window. There is some "felt-like" material that dries out over time and make it very hard for the windows to go up smoothly. After the spray is applied, put the windows up and down a few times and I think you will see a much improved function of the windows.

You didn't really ask a specific question about the trip computer. If you have a question about that, just let me know.

Take Care, Greg A.

Greg A, Master Troubleshooter
Experience: Working with Electronics & Cars for 25+ Years
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Greg A's Post: Thanks for th einfo. I believe the gas sensor may be the culprit for the trip computer as well it was showing a range of 260 miles when the gas gauge was being querky and then all of a sudden the gas gauge went to E and the range indicator at the same time was ready E so I pulled into a gas station and put 10 gallons in just to be sure I had fuel. I did however have another question about the air conditioning on this van, it recently just started blowing nothing but hot air out all vents, I put two cans of refrigerant in and it felt a little cooler, but the next day it was blowing hot again, it there an easy way to determine if there is a leak?