John, Master A.S.E Automotive technician
Experience:  A.S.E MasterTechnician A1-A8 w/L1,38 years experience General Motors Master Technician

My 04 duramax is leaking from the bell housing..rings..head gasket

My 04 duramax is leaking from the bell housing. I understand the o rings to the crossover may have been damaged while changing the head gasket. What are the chances of this being the problem?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.

Hello sparkyfarmer,

Is your leak oil or coolant ? If it is coolant,there is a possibility that an o-ring got knicked or did not seal properly.If you are leaking oil,it could be an intake manifold gasket or rear main oil seal.If you can't really tell what the fluid type a cooling system pressure test & some oil dye will give you an answer.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to john's Post: John,I should have specified coolant leak, but I was talking about damage to the o ring on the crossover. My question was about how often or how easy could this happen?
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
When removing & reinstalling the bypass pipe it would be very easy to damage an o-ring.It would mostly depend on the person doing the work.It's always a possibility that they did not replace the o-ring & used the old one.Once a fitting(o-ring type fitting) is pulled apart,one should always replace that o-ring with a new one.Sometimes people get in a hurry or just plain don't care.Good help is hard to find & it's not getting any better.A cooling system pressure test will show you exactly where your coolant is comming from.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
John, We are talking about changing the head gasket, not removing the bypass pipe. You don't seem to be looking at the question. Did you get in a hurry or do you just not care? I want to know how easy it is to damage the o ring while changing the head gasket.
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
Yes Sir,I do care.The bypass pipe bolts to the front of each cylinder head.Therefore when changing a cylinder head this part must be removed.So if you remove it you going to reinstall it on the new cylinder head & if the o-ring was not replaced,or even if it was,it could leak.This is why one should perform a coolant system pressure test.It is very easy to damage this o-ring when doing this job.