Carl King
Carl King, Classic Chevy man
Experience:  33 years experience in classic/muscle cars. Classic Chevy from 55-72.
5040225

I have a 350 turbo hydro transmission and need to adjust the TV cable

I have a 350 turbo hydro transmission and need to adjust the TV cable, how is it done?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Carl King replied 6 years ago.

Hi Corky,

I've never heard of a TV cable, but there is a Throttle Pressure cable (TP).

You adjust the TP cable at the carburator. On an older style car you loosen the locknut on the throttle linkage and get some one to push the gas pedal to the floor, then you tighten the nut.

On more modern Chevy's there is a push down lock that needs to be released using a flat blade screwdriver at the bracket where the cable is mounted. Once you release that, do the gas pedal procedure as above and push the lock back down into place. They can then release the gas pedal.

A stubby flat blade works best.

Carl M King

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to XXXXX XXXXX's Post: This car is a hot rod and utilizes a Lokar kick down bracket and the TP cable. The trans shifts up and down violently if you take off too agressively but not at WOT. I disconnected the TP cable and it shifts normally at WOT but still wants to up shift and down shift at about 80% throttle. Any ideas?
Expert:  Carl King replied 6 years ago.
Yes,

You need more throttle pressure tension on the cable. That will move the shift points down in the throttle range.

Here's a range of motion test for the TP cable:
Remove the TP cable from the carb stud. With the engine off, open throttle to WOT. Release the adjustment and pull the TP cable as far as it goes. They should still align well. The cable end should be at the end of it's range near the snapon stud at WOT. If not, you may have an issue with the throttle lever assembly not providing enough pull on the cable.

It also sounds like your trans shift kit needs to be tuned in tandom with your throttle pressure cable.

The low vacuum when you hit the throttle hard (assuming a mild cam and big intake) will play games with the modulator valve because of the sudden loss of vacuum. Is your vacuum source directly on the intake?

Carl
Carl King, Classic Chevy man
Experience: 33 years experience in classic/muscle cars. Classic Chevy from 55-72.