Jesse
Jesse, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  12 yrs dealership exp ase master tech 100% GM factory trained
10242211

1996 Chevy. 1500 pickup truck, 305 C.I. Vortec V-8This ...

Customer Question

1996 Chevy. 1500 pickup truck, 305 C.I. Vortec V-8
This all started with PO172 and PO175, pulled the right and left oxygen sensors, cleaned and reinstalled. Errors cleared and have not returned.
2 weeks later the alternator crapped out pulling a horse trailer, recharged the battery, replaced 3 quarts of oil, (oil was fine when I checked BEFORE I left the house) NEVER found out where the oil went. Ran it to the nearest Advance store (6 miles, turned head lights off, did not drain battery again) and replace the alternator. No problems 1 month until trucks fuel mileage went very bad. No power.
I don't remember the first codes I got.
Here's the deal,
I know everyone is giving me the correct answer on timing this truck.
Hey, I know how to time this truck.
Its not that I don't understand, I don't want to seem stupid, I'm not!
But, I get a P1345 EVERY TIME
I have pulled and put this distributor in - No less than 25 times, I have tried every position known to man, and even when I know that #1 cylinder is on the compression stroke and on TDC. Set the distributor according to you all and the book - P1345.
With popping thru the throttle body and raw gas out the tail pipe.
I pull and check the plugs and they are sooty but not wet.
The timing chain and gears were out of spec, but not that bad, BUT I replace the set anyway.
So I went and replaced the distributor base, the CMP, the CKP, new wires and plugs, took the injectors to the GM shop and had them cleaned and repaired or replaced. Guess what - they weren't dirty and worked correctly.
The cylinders are equal at 130 psi. with little to no leak. Did a valve job. Fuel Pressure is 62 lbs. Placed the MAF sensor 2 years ago.
I have replace the coil, ignition control module, distributor cap twice (has Horizontal towers) rotor button (only go on one way), MAP sensor, IAC, Cleaned and check all 4 oxygen sensors.
Pulled and replace the fuel filter, (old one not stopped up).
Pulled and checked the Catalytic converter, not stopped up. Put it back on.
Still getting P1345 error - any ideas? I'm out of ideas!
I do really appreciate all the help everyone has giving me on this site.
Frustration isn't a word any more it's a LIFESTILE! LOL!

Still getting P1345, What should I do next?

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jesse replied 6 years ago.

I would start by doing this one more time also put a fuel pressure gauge on and turn key on when pump stops running after 2 seconds watch fuel pressure to see if it drops could be that regulator or poppets or even lines leaking under intake.

• Rotate the number 1 cylinder up to Top Dead Center (TDC) of the compression stroke.
    Object Number: 4371  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above imageidth=
  • Remove the distributor cap screws and the distributor cap to expose the rotor.
    Object Number: 43756  Size: SH
  • Align the pre-drilled indent hole in the distributor driven gear with the white alignment line on the lower portion of the shaft housing.
    Object Number: 4348  Size: SH
  • The rotor should point to the cap hold down mount nearest the flat side of the housing.
    Object Number: 4350  Size: SH
  • Using a long screw driver, align the oil pump drive shaft to the drive tab of the distributor.
  • Guide the distributor into place, ensuring that the spark plug towers are perpendicular to the centerline of the engine.
  • Once the distributor is fully seated, the rotor segment should be aligned with the pointer cast into the distributor base. This pointer will have 8 cast into it, indicating that the distributor is to be used on a 8 cylinder engine. If the rotor segment does not come within a few degrees of the pointer, the gear mesh between the distributor and the camshaft may be off a tooth or more. If this is the case, repeat the procedure again in order to achieve proper alignment.
    Object Number: 4356  Size: SH
  • Install the distributor cap and the mounting screws. Do not overtighten as they may strip.

Tighten
    Tighten the distributor cap screws to 5 N·m (45 lb in).

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

• Install the distributor mounting clamp and tighten to the proper torque.

Tighten
    Tighten the distributor clamp and the bolt to 27 N·m (20 lb ft).

• Install the three wire hall effect switch connectors to the base of the distributor.
  • Install the spark plug and the ignition coil wires to the distributor cap.

Important: If a check engine light is illuminated after installing the distributor and a DTC P1345 is found, the distributor has been installed incorrectly.

• Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I understand all of what you are saying - but still getting P1345

SO, do I advance or retard the timing to get rid of popping thru the throttle body and raw gas out the tail pipe and the P1345 error Or is their something else I need to be doing?

Gregg

Expert:  Jesse replied 6 years ago.

Object Number: 33715  Size: MF

Have you checked wiring for system?

Expert:  Jesse replied 6 years ago.
    Here is the diagnostic charts for your p1345
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have replaced the CKP and the CMP. I also have the correct voltage at the connectors.

You did not include the link to the diagnostic charts for your p1345

Expert:  Jesse replied 6 years ago.

This DTC determines if the distributor is installed incorrectly, or if there is a mechanical malfunction in the engine. The DTC P1345 is a type A DTC.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

When the engine is running, the cam sensor reference pulse is not detected at the correct relative position to the crankshaft position sensor pulse.

Action Taken When The DTC Sets

The VCM turns the MIL ON when this DTC is reported and one failure has occurred.
    The VCM records the operating conditions at the time the Diagnostic Fails. Freeze Frame and Failure Records store this information.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

The VCM turns OFF the MIL after 3 consecutive driving trips without a fault condition present. A history DTC will clear if no fault conditions have been detected for 40 warm-up cycles (the coolant temperature has risen 22°C (40°F) from the start-up coolant temperature and the engine coolant temperature exceeds 71°C (160°F) during that same ignition cycle) or the scan tool clearing feature has been used.

Diagnostic Aids

Check the following items:

A loose or missing distributor hold down bolt
    A loose CMP sensor causing a variance in the sensor signal
    Incorrectly installed distributor - 1 tooth off in either advanced or retard positions
    A loose distributor rotor on the distributor shaft
    Excessive free play in the timing chain and gear assembly
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Bolt is tight

Replaced the CMP and its tight

do I advance or retard the timing to get rid of popping thru the throttle body and raw gas out the tail pipe

Checked and reshimed to spec.

replaced, with new chain and new gears

Expert:  Jesse replied 6 years ago.
    may have to start thinking pcm from what you are telling me you have pretty well done everything right