Scott K
Scott K, ASE Master Tech/Instructor
Experience:  20 yrs Experience; GM factory Training ASE Master Certified with L1 advanced engine diagnostics

I just bought a 2000 Cavalier, 2.2L, 4-speed a/t.

Customer Question

I just bought a 2000 Cavalier, 2.2L, 4-speed a/t. Can''t seem to find where to check tran. fluid. Is there someone out there that can tell me where it is?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Scott K replied 8 years ago.

Hi kmla,

welcome to just answer,

You vehicle has somewhat of a complicated prodedure to check the transmission fluid.

Transmission Fluid Check
Object Number: 727828  Size: SH

The oil level control plug (65) is located on the torque converter side of the transmission.

• Start the engine and allow the engine to idle until the transmission fluid temperature has reached the value specified.
  • Depress the brake pedal and move the shift lever through the gear ranges, pausing a few seconds in each range. Return the shift lever to the PARK range.
  • Raise the vehicle on a hoist. The vehicle must be level, with the engine running and the shift lever in the PARK range
  • Caution: The engine must be running when the transmission fluid fill plug is removed, or excessive fluid loss will occur. Transmission fluid may be hot. Since the actual fluid level is unknown, stand clear when removing the fill plug. Have a container ready to capture any lost fluid. Do not turn the engine off with the fill plug removed, as you can be injured by hot transmission fluid being expelled out of the oil fill opening.

• Remove the transmission oil level control plug (65). See drawing above
  • Check the fluid level. The fluid level should be even with the bottom of the threaded plug hole.

Add DEXRON® III automatic transmission fluid in increments of 0.5 L until the fluid drains from the plug hole.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
    Reply to Scott K's Post: I appreciate your answer, but I have already received and accepted an answer with all of my budgeted deposit.

Thanks again, Customer