Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION
3903212

2000 astro: door handle..the interior panels..bolt of the door

Customer Question

I have a 2000 astro van. how do i replace the driver''s door handle. I have all the interior panels off and cannot seem to get my hand inside to get to the top inside bolt of the door latch. Does the lock mechenism need to be taken out? is there special tools that i need to get this out? Do I have to take it to a professional shop or is it something that I can do. is there a place with step by step instructions with pictures?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.

According to my info, you do not have to remove the door latch assembly, although it makes it much easier. After you have the door panel, and the water deflector off, it is quite simple. Here is what you will need to do to remove the remaining parts! Good luck!

• Remove the access hole plug (1).
  • Remove the lock rod from the door handle.
  • Remove the nuts from the door handle (4).
    Object Number: 327106  Size: SH

• Remove the door handle from the door (2).
  • Remove the lock rod from the lock cylinder (3).
  • Remove the lock cylinder retainer.
  • Remove the lock cylinder and the gasket (5) from the door.
  • Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
    Experience: ASE CERTIFICATION
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    "remove the access hole plug" ... I have removed the access hole plug and can get at the lower nut on door handle.

"remove the lock rod from the door handle" ... is there only one rod going into the door handle. I can not see the rod nor can i feel the rod when i stick my fingers looking for it. do you have a more exploded view of these parts.

Remove the nuts from the door handle .... at this point i still cannot get to the upper nut of the door handle.

****i made an error on the model year, i checked the registration and its a 1999.

In you image that you included,between the door latch and the number 1 you show a plate tak may come off. on my model this is molded right into the door, that is why i asked if the locking mechimisn need to come out.

Did chevy change this in the model 2000 to make it easier to replace the door handle?
    Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
    According to my info, both years are removed in the same manner. I cannot say that I have had one of these apart recent enough to say the instructions are wrong. I will opt out and get you some other experts to see if they have differeing instructions! Thanks for your patience!
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    I did step one and two and know at least i might be able to get a tool arount the top nut. Does the door handle have any rods connected to it. I am trying to get at this as you answer, the diagram was a lot of help.
    Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
    There should be one rod that goes from the lock cylinder to the door latch aseembly, and one from the outside handle that goes to the same point. Sorry I do not have any illustrations of them.