goodwrench9124
goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase Master Certified, GM Master Certified Tech. Awarded GM Top performer, Hybrid certified
5720312

My chevy 2001 suburban rear ac blower died and I am trying ...

Customer Question

My chevy 2001 suburban rear ac blower died and I am trying to find out what fuse protects that system. I have tried several that say AC and HAVAC but no fan controls. When you engage the rear system nothing happens-no fan or blower operating--maybe a shot blower?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  goodwrench9124 replied 8 years ago.

Hello, and welcome to JA!! lets first check these fuses. there is a 30 amp fuse in the underhood fuse block marked RR HVAC, and the other is ign 3 a 10 amp in the same fuse block. if these check ok, let me know, and i can you some more things to check.

also do you have access to a testlight or a voltmeter??

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have checked these and they look fine to me.
Ok, lets start with the rear blower motor itself, do you have a sunroof?? makes a difference on wiring. and do you have a testlight or a voltmeter??
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Sorry-but checking for a ign 3 and don't see on under the hood fuse box.--I am going by the owners manual- I do see and ing E
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to goodwrench9124's Post: Ok, I found the fuse in the cab and it looks fine--I have no sunroof.

Ok, good, we need to check the power and ground at the rear blower motor. this will tell us if we a bad blower motor or a electrical problem to the blower motor.

you will need to remove the right rear quarter molding to gain access to the blower motor. there is two wires going to the blower motor. one is a purple wire, which should have 12 volts when the blower is turned on. the other is a black wire which is ground. if you have a test light, just go across the purple and black, if the the test lights then the power and ground is good!! and the blower motor is bad!!

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the rear seat.
  2. Remove the garnish molding.
  3. Remove the trim panel.
  4. Remove the door sill plate.
    Object Number: 521852  Size: SH

5. Remove the quarter panel trim screws.
  6. Remove the quarter panel trim from the vehicle.
  • Remove the rear upper garnish molding. Object Number: 623042  Size: SH

• Pull down on the upper corners of the garnish molding in order to disengage the retaining clips.
  • Pull in order to disengage the remaining retaining clips.
  • Remove the rear corner garnish molding from the vehicle.
  • Inspect the rear corner garnish molding for broken or missing retaining clips. Replace the retaining clips as needed.
  •  

Object Number: 621720  Size: SH

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
    This may be getting a more technical than I wanted--but I should be able to check the blower--if bad can you tell me about what a replacement would run and the time/labor involved?

Thanks for your help.

sure the rear blower motor takes a little less than an hour to replace labor time is .7 of an hour. and here is the part price. depending on what the shop rate is, translate to about 50- 75.00 dollars in labor

Auxiliary Blower Motor
    Blower Motor52495789$107.55

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
    Thanks for your help, you have been very helpfuld
    your are very welcome!! and thanks for using JA!!!!!!