GMTechBernard, Shop Foreman - GM World Class Tech
Experience:  GM

2003 Chevy Silverado 1500: emissions light..4WD 5300 truck

The emissions light is on on my 2003 Chevy Silverado 1500 4WD 5300 truck. I doubt the air filter or fuel filter have ever been changed. I can change the air filter but what about the fuel filter? I have not changed brands of fuel. The fuel cap looks OK. Is it OK to pull a loaded horse trailer about 100 miles through moderate hills this weekend? I can't get it in to the dealer until Monday. 54,000 miles on the odometer.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GMTechBernard replied 8 years ago.

The fuel filter isn't too hard, unless the 8th digit of your VIN is a "Z". Those are a little tricky. The check engine light can come on for a variety of reasons, and is usually emissions related. Usually, the only time you have to worry, is when the light is flashing, then you need to get it fixed ASAP. If its not flashing, Monday will be fine and pulling your trailer "should" be OK. I say "should", because I don't know what code is stored, so its hard to be 100%, but most of the time a non-flashing light is just some emissions fault and OK to drive.