Dan, Auto Technician
Experience:  GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified
4976144

2003 silverado 2500: allison..overdrive..indicator light..shift lever

2003 silverado 2500 duramax/allison. Tow/haul, overdrive overide is not working. Noticed it when the dash indicator light did not come on when switch on shift lever is pushed. I looked in owners manual for a fuse that might be blown. No luck. Any ideas.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.

Ok, remove the steering column upper shroud and inspect the orange wire for a break in the wire between the shift lever and the electrical connector on top of the steering column. It's common for these to break as the shifter movement weakens the wire and eventually it breaks. If that's the case replace the shift lever (comes with new switch and short harness) and retest.

Steering Column Trim Covers Replacement

Removal Procedure

Caution: Refer to SIR Caution in the Preface section.

Object Number: 692091  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above imageidth=
  1. Disable the inflatable restraint steering wheel module. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling in SIR.
  2. Disconnect the battery negative cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection in Engine Electrical.
  3. Remove the steering wheel from the column. Refer to Steering Wheel Replacement .
  4. Remove the gap hider. Refer to Instrument Cluster Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gages, and Console.
  5. If tilt column, remove the tilt lever from the lower trim cover. Refer to Tilt Lever Replacement .

Important: You must check for 2 pan head tapping screws (1,2) in the lower trim cover before removal.

6. If necessary, remove the 2 pan head tapping screws (1,2) from the lower trim cover (3). Remove the lower trim cover (3).

If screws are not present in the lower trim cover, proceed to the next step.

Object Number: 723623  Size: SH
  7. Gently unsnap the lower trim cover from the upper trim cover.
    Object Number: 692093  Size: SH

Important: You must check for 1 TORX® head screw (1) in the upper trim cover (2) before removal.

8. If necessary, remove 1 TORX® head screw (1) from the upper trim cover (2).

If a screw is not present, remove the upper trim cover (2).

Installation Procedure

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.

Object Number: 692093  Size: SH

Important: If the snap on/off feature on the trim covers was damaged during the removal procedure, you MUST use screws for the installation procedure. If screws were present in the trim covers before the removal procedure, you MUST use the screws during the installation procedure.

If there was not any damage done to the trim covers during the removal procedure and no screws were present, proceed to step 2.

1. Install the upper trim cover (2) onto the steering column. Install 1 TORX® head screw (1) into the upper trim cover (2).

Tighten
    Tighten the screw to 1.5 N·m (13 lb in).

Object Number: 723623  Size: SH

Important: If column shift, the shift lever seal must be seated in the trim covers.

2. Slide the shift lever seal down the shift lever.
  3. Gently snap the lower trim cover to the upper trim cover.
  4. If screws were not used in the installation procedure, proceed to step 6.
    Object Number: 692091  Size: SH
  5. Screw the 2 pan head tapping screws (1, 2) into the lower trim cover.

Tighten
    Tighten the 2 pan head tapping screws to 3.5 N·m (31 lb in).

6. If tilt column, install the tilt lever into the lower trim cover. Refer to Tilt Lever Replacement .
  7. Install the gap hider. Refer to Instrument Cluster Replacement In Instrument Panel, Gages, and Console.
  8. Install the steering wheel onto the steering column. Refer to Steering Wheel Replacement
  9. Connect the battery negative cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection in Engine Electrical.
  10. Enable the inflatable restraint steering wheel module. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling in SIR.
Dan, Auto Technician
Experience: GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified