gmtech4
gmtech4, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  14 yrs GM experience ,
9711572

I HAVE A 2006 CHEVY DURAMAX 3500 DIESEL AND IT GOES INTO ...

I HAVE A 2006 CHEVY DURAMAX 3500 DIESEL AND IT GOES INTO LIMP MODE WHEN I AM PULLING A LOADED TRAILER AND IT STARTED SMOKING BLACK SMOKE LIKE A SUN OF A GUN I HAVE HAD IT IN THE CHEVY SHOP AND THEY HAVE REPLACED PARTS IN THE FUEL SYSTEM BUT IT STILL DOES THE SAME THING, HOW DO I FIX THIS?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  gmtech4 replied 8 years ago.
did anyone with GM on their coveralls check the injectors balancing rates with a GM scanner ,plus all that was done sounds odd,what is a fuel log? how where the injectors cleaned ?with a tank additive?you have diesel warrenty you know.please reply
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
We have 340,000 miles on our truck, we pul a trailer and haul 3 cars at a time, so we are out of warranty, although this issue began when the truck only had 18,000 miles on it and progressively got worse. Truck goes into limp mode and smokes balck diesel smoke badly upon acceleration and misfires and then the check engine light will appear. Fuel log is where the fuel goes into the injectors. Turck has been cleaned with additive and then the GM dealership cleaned by hand.
Expert:  gmtech4 replied 8 years ago.
what codes did the dealer get?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Misfire code, EGR code, fuel pressure code
Same 3 codes come up every time
Expert:  gmtech4 replied 8 years ago.
so was the egr replaced ?if not why not?,I'm not sure if that dealer had a diesel guy,does your injection pump get commanded up to the max with the GM scanner ?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
EGR cleaned and they say it is good,and yes I called the dealer and he says the injection pump is commanded up to the max with their scanner, when I change the fuel filter the truck will run fine for awhile
Expert:  gmtech4 replied 8 years ago.
tell me the egr code,I'll see if there is a bulletin -rob
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
THEY JUST CHANGED THE FUEL FILTER AND SAID IT IS FIXED NOW, DOES HTIS SOUND RIGHT - I AM GOING TO HOOK MY TRAILER UP AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS
Expert:  gmtech4 replied 8 years ago.
no,find out what codes please and yes go for a rip,
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The codes they say they got at the Chevy dealership are PO41, PO101, COMP-EGR and PO44-Misfire, also changing the fuel filter did not work, the minute we hooked the trailer to the truck it began to smoke again and after about 50 miles of travel it went into limp mode again, meaning that as long as the truck doesn't rap over 2 it will run, try to rap over 2 it will kill
Expert:  gmtech4 replied 8 years ago.
p0101 is a Mass Air Flow (MAF sensor) performance code,other codes makes no sense are not available,please check again-Rob
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
code po87 just came up on the computer connected to the truck while we are driving it
Expert:  gmtech4 replied 8 years ago.
that code is for fuel rail pressure low,my recommendation to you is take it too a different dealer or a diesel specialty shop,this is getting nuts and I assume you are a little more that pissed off,good luck -Rob