Dan, Auto Technician
Experience:  GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified

2004 chevy malibu classic: crank..few seconds..acts..the fuel filters

Customer Question

2004 chevy malibu classic will turn over and crank up for only just a few seconds. acts like it can''t get any gas. Where are the fuel filters located would it be a good start to change them. Just bought for my daughter it''s broke down at a safe place by a church but far from my house. Just changed oil and filter. changed brake fluid. Changed power sterring fluid.   It has 133000 miles on just bought for her so don''t know any thing about it. Just ordered a haynes repair manual it will not be here till Wed.   Thanks for your help if you can. BM.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.

Sounds like the theft system has been activated. Try this procedure to unlock the theft and if it works great but if not have the car towed to a dealership for further diagnosis of the theft system ok.

10 Minute Learn Procedure

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON, vehicle will not start.
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  5. The vehicle is now ready to relearn the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.

Important: The vehicle learns the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

6. Start the engine, the vehicle has now learned the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or password.
  7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed, history DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles.
Dan, Auto Technician
Experience: GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I read that in the manuel in the glove box I don't think I did it for a full 10 minutes will try that again though. Did not see a theft light on. There was a green light on on the steering wheel. I turned oit off I will try the procedure above again. Thanks for your help. Would like to know where the fuel filters are located and change them to. They are probably due, along with the plugs.
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
Fuel Filter Replacement

Removal Procedure

Important: There is no service interval for fuel filter replacement. Only replace the fuel filter if the filter is restricted. Inspect the fuel tank internally and clean the fuel tank if you find a restricted fuel filter.

1. Relieve the fuel system pressure. Refer to Fuel Pressure Relief .
  2. Raise the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
    Object Number: 408592  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above imageidth=
  3. Disconnect the fuel filter fitting using a back-up wrench.
    Object Number: 54520  Size: SH
  4. Disconnect the quick connect fitting from the fuel filter. Refer to Plastic Collar Quick Connect Fitting Service .
  5. Remove the fuel filter.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 288310  Size: SH
  1. Remove the protective caps from the new fuel filter.
  2. Install the fuel filter (2) in the same position as the old fuel filter.
  3. Connect the fuel filter quick connect fitting. Refer to Plastic Collar Quick Connect Fitting Service .

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

4. Connect the fuel filter fitting (3) using a back-up wrench.

Tighten
    Tighten the fuel filter fitting to 27 N·m (20 lb ft).

5. Lower the vehicle.
  6. Connect the negative battery cable.
  7. Inspect for fuel leaks using the following procedure:
    7.1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF for 2 seconds.
    7.2. Turn OFF the ignition for 10 seconds.
    7.3. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
    7.4. Inspect for fuel leaks.
  8. Ignition Control Module Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Turn OFF the ignition.
    2. Remove the accelerator cable from the bracket.
    3. Remove the accelerator cable bracket bolt.
    4. Remove the accelerator cable bracket.
      Object Number: 783965  Size: SH
    5. Disconnect the ignition control module (ICM) harness connector.
    6. Remove the ICM retaining screws.
    7. Remove the ICM from the ignition coil housing.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 783965  Size: SH

Important: Make sure the interconnect and seal are lined up before module installation.

1. Install the ignition control module in the ignition coil housing.

2. Install the ICM retaining screws.

Tighten
      Tighten the retaining screws to 1.5 N·m (13 lb in).

3. Connect the ICM harness connector.
    4. Install the accelerator cable bracket.

5. Install the accelerator cable bracket bolt.

Tighten
      Tighten the retaining screws to 10 N·m (18 lb in).

6. Install the accelerator cable to the bracket.
    7. Ignition Coil Housing Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the accelerator and cruise control cables from the bracket, if equipped.
      2. Remove the bracket.
      3. Remove the ignition control module (ICM) . Refer to Ignition Control Module Replacement .
        Object Number: 412144  Size: SH
      4. Remove the ignition coil housing retaining bolts.
      5. Remove the ignition coil housing from the camshaft cover.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 412144  Size: SH
      1. Install the ignition coil housing to the camshaft cover.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.

2. Install the ignition coil housing retaining bolts.

Tighten
        Tighten the retaining bolts to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

3. Install the ICM. Refer to Ignition Control Module Replacement .
      4. Install the accelerator and cruise control cables bracket.
      5. Install the accelerator and cruise control cables bracket bolts.

Tighten

6. Install the accelerator and cruise control cables to the bracket.
      7. Spark Plug Replacement

Removal Procedure

Notice: This engine has aluminum cylinder heads. Do not remove the spark plugs from a hot engine, allow it to cool first. Removing the spark plugs from a hot engine may cause spark plug thread damage or cylinder head damage.

1. Remove the ignition coil housing. Refer to Ignition Coil Housing Replacement .
          Object Number: 465982  Size: SH

Important: Remove any water and debris from the spark plug holes before spark plug removal with compressed air.

2. Remove the spark plugs with a spark plug socket.
        3. Inspect the spark plugs. Refer to Spark Plug Inspection .

Installation Procedure

1. Gap the spark plug, using round wire type spark plug gap gage.

Gap
          Adjust the spark plug gap to 1.0 mm (0.040 in).

Object Number: 465982  Size: SH

Important: DO NOT coat the spark plugs with anti seize compound. Over torquing could occur and damage to the cylinder head threads may result.

2. Install the spark plugs with a spark plug socket.

Tighten
          Tighten the spark plugs to 20 N·m (15 lb ft).

3. Install the ignition coil housing. Refer to Ignition Coil Housing Replacement .