Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION
3903212

how do I change my brake pads in my 2003 silverado

No Comment Added
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
Are you looking to do the front or rear?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to carhelp4uhere's Post: both front and back and I may have to replace to rotors too
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.

Ok well the pads are going to be the same procedure for the front and the rear. The rotors in the rear are a bit harder as the parking brake is actually built into the rotor. So there is actually a little drum brake on the inner hub of the rotor. If there is a rust ring on the parking brake drum, it will cause for some real problems upon removal. Here is how to change the pads.

• Inspect the fluid level in the brake master cylinder reservoir.
  • If the brake fluid level is midway between the maximum--full point and the minimum allowable level, no brake fluid needs to be removed from the reservoir before proceeding.
  • If the brake fluid level is higher than midway between the maximum-full point and the minimum allowable level, remove brake fluid to the midway point before proceeding.
  • Raise and support the vehicle.
  • Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
  • Inspect the brake caliper operation.

Notice: Support the brake caliper with heavy mechanic wire, or equivalent, whenever it is separated from its mount and the hydraulic flexible brake hose is still connected. Failure to support the caliper in this manner will cause the flexible brake hose to bear the weight of the caliper, which may cause damage to the brake hose and in turn may cause a brake fluid leak.

• Remove the brake caliper from the brake caliper mounting bracket and support the brake caliper with heavy mechanic's wire or equivalent. DO NOT disconnect the hydraulic brake hose from the brake caliper. Object Number: 370154  Size: SH

• Compress the brake caliper pistons.
    Install a large C-clamp over the top of the caliper housing and against the back of the outboard pad.
    Slowly tighten the C-clamp until the pistons are pushed completely into the caliper bores.

• Object Number: 789166  Size: SH

• Remove the 2 brake caliper mounting bolts.

Caution: Do not depress the brake pedal with the brake rotors/calipers and/or the brake drums removed. Damage to the brake system may result. If brake system damage occurs and is not repaired, vehicle damage and/or personal injury or death may result.

• Remove the brake caliper from the brake caliper mounting bracket.Object Number: 369668  Size: SH
  • Remove the disc brake pads from the brake caliper mounting bracket.
  • Remove and discard the anti-rattle clips from the brake caliper mounting bracket.
  • Inspect the brake caliper and brake caliper mounting bracket.
  • Install new anti-rattle clips to the brake caliper mounting bracket.
  • Install the disc brake pads to the brake caliper mounting bracket.
  • Install the brake caliper.
  • Install the tire and wheel assembly.
  • Remove the safety stands.
  • Lower the vehicle.
  • With the engine OFF, gradually apply the brake pedal to approximately 2/3 of it's travel distance.
  • Here is how to remove the rear rotors.

• Remove the brake caliper and brake caliper bracket as an assembly and support with heavy mechanic's wire or equivalent. DO NOT disconnect the hydraulic brake flexible hose from the caliper.
  • Remove the rotor retaining push nuts from the wheel studs, if applicable.
  • It may be necessary to strike the end of the hub or the rotor with a deadblow hammer to separate the rotor from the hub.
    Object Number: 686151  Size: SH

• Remove the brake rotor. Do not force the rotor off. If the rotor is difficult to remove, ease it off by gently rotating it as you pull outward.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

• If the brake rotor cannot be removed perform the following:
    13.1. Assemble J-46277 to J 2619-01 .
    13.2. Insert J-46277 between the rotor friction surfaces in the vent section of the rotor.

DO NOT place the J-46277 on the rotor friction surface.

13.3. Using J-46277 and J 2619-01 remove the rotor from the hub assembly.
    13.4. Inspect the park brake components for the following conditions:
    Bent or broken hold down spring
    Broken, cracked or worn brake shoe lining
    Bent or damaged brake shoe
    Worn, bent or damaged backing plate
    13.5. If any of these conditions are found replace the affected parts.
  •  

• Slowly release the brake pedal.
  • Wait 15 seconds, then repeat steps 7-8 until a firm pedal is obtained. This will properly seat the brake caliper pistons and brake pads.
  • Fill the master cylinder reservoir to the proper level with clean brake fluid.
  • Here is how the front rotors are to be removed.

Object Number: 924321  Size: SH

Object Number: 370132  Size: SH

• Remove the rotor.
  • Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
    Experience: ASE CERTIFICATION