ZZDaryl
ZZDaryl, Chevy Technician
Experience:  28 year experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

2001 chevy express location of dome light relay

No Comment Added
Category: Chevy
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 6 years ago.
There is not a dome light relay, if your light is not working then you likely have either a bad bulb or bulb socket or a wiring problem. If your other dome light and reading lights are working your problem is likely the bulb or the bulb socket because they are powered by the same wire.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to zzdaryl's Post: was replacing rear cargo light with cheap fixture from pepboys , door was opened lights were on spliced in ,as i was tring to put bulb in terminal wire shorted to frame,blown fused replaced    lights will not yurn off or delay off pull fuse to turn off

allready spent 85.00 thinking inside the headlight switch / overide domelight might have been damaged /no change/

darrell
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 6 years ago.
So none of the dome lights or reading lights will work? What was the fuse you replaced labled?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
#3   ctsy   lights will not turn off with fuse in,

the lights do work,every thing seems to work except the symbol for drl on dash display
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 6 years ago.
There is a interior lamp control module that is likely the problem since you already replaced the headlight switch, it is located behind the passenger side kick panel, if you unplug it and the lights go off it is likely your problem.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
found module not on pass kick area under dash above engine cover pulled wire lights did not go off did find that when door was opened/closed the module clicked when door opened and delayed when door closed seem to be working should i replace module, possiable the short caused damage to contacts inside
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 6 years ago.
If you are sure you have the right module it is not likely the problem if the lights did not go off, what I would do next is unplug the headlight switch and see if the lights go off. If they do not go off there is a short to ground on the White wire coming out of the lights.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i did remove headlight switch lights stay on,,,,,,,,,,,you said white wire shorted removed cover on new light white wire grounded to frame which i screwed to body framing disconnected the lights go off and work with the doors oping and closing   i take it that the white wire can not be to ground any where or the frame of light?
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 6 years ago.
Right the white wire is what controls the lights, it is grounded when you turn the dome lights on or open the door.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
remove white wire from the body everything back to normal thanks

my wife said its probably somthing simply hate when she is right
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 6 years ago.

I know how you feel

ZZDaryl, Chevy Technician
Experience: 28 year experience, Master Mechanic