Scott K
Scott K, ASE Master Tech/Instructor
Experience:  20 yrs Experience; GM factory Training ASE Master Certified with L1 advanced engine diagnostics
9480930

How to remove passenger airbag in a 1999 Chevy Suburban

No Comment Added
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Scott K replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer

Welcome to Just Answer,

Instructions below for passenger airbag module

Anything unclear or you need more info reply back

Scott

Disabling the SIR System

1. Turn the steering wheel so that the vehicle's wheels are pointing straight ahead.
  2. Turn OFF the ignition.
  3. Remove the key from the ignition switch.

Important: With the AIR BAG Fuse removed and the ignition switch in the RUN position, The AIR BAG warning lamp illuminates. This is normal operation, and does not indicate an SIR system malfunction.

4. Remove the AIR BAG Fuse from the IP fuse block.
    Object Number: 190000  Size: SH

5. Remove the Connector Position Assurance (CPA) (1) from the driver yellow 2-way connector located at the base of the steering column.
  6. Disconnect the driver yellow 2-way connector (2) located at the base of the steering column.
    Object Number: 190002  Size: SH

7. Remove the Connector Position Assurance (CPA) (2) from the passenger yellow 2-way connector located near the base of the steering column.
  8. Disconnect the passenger yellow 2-way connector (1) located near the base of the steering column.

Instrument Panel Assembly Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the knee bolster.
  2. Remove the knee bolster reinforcement.
  3. Remove the knee deflector bracket.
  4. Remove the tubular tie bar from under the steering column.
  5. Remove the steering column.
  6. Object Number: 277093  Size: SH

7. Remove the IP storage compartment door.
    Object Number: 277090  Size: SH

8. Remove the 2 bolts from the PSIR bracket.
    Object Number: 277086  Size: SH

9. Remove the left and the right lower instrument panel pivot bolts.
    Object Number: 277087  Size: SH
  10. Remove the center support screw.
  11. Pivot the instrument panel.

Installation Procedure

1. Pivot the instrument panel forward.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

2. Install the 3 upper IP to dash screws.

Tighten
    Tighten the screws to 2 N·m(18 lb in).

Object Number: 277086  Size: SH
  3. Install the left and the right lower instrument panel pivot bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 20 N·m(15 lb ft).

4. Install the two PSIR bracket bolts through the IP storage compartment opening.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 20 N·m(15 lb ft).

Object Number: 277087  Size: SH

5. Install the center support screw.
  6. Install the steering column.
  7. Install the tubular tie bar under steering column.
  8. Install the knee deflector bracket.

Tighten
    Tighten the knee deflector bracket bolts to 3 N·m(27 lb in).

9. Install the knee bolster reinforcement.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 7 N·m(62 lb in).

10. Install the knee bolster.
    Object Number: 277093  Size: SH

11. Install the IP storage compartment door.

Inflatable Restraint Instrument Panel Module Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Disable the SIR system.
  2. Roll the instrument panel forward.
  3. Object Number: 388322  Size: SH

4. Remove the fasteners (5) from the studs (4) attaching the inflatable restraint IP module to the mounting bracket.
  5. Remove the inflatable restraint IP module (2) from the front of the instrument panel. Ensure that you keep a firm hold of the module.
  6. Remove the yellow 2-way electrical harness connector at the left side of the mounting bracket.
  7. Remove the connector position assurance (CPA) from the yellow 2-way electrical harness connector.
  8. Remove the inflatable restraint IP module yellow pigtail connector (3) from the yellow 2-way electrical harness connector.
  9. Remove the inflatable restraint IP module from the instrument panel (1).

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 388322  Size: SH

1. Install the inflatable restraint IP module to the instrument panel (1).
  2. Install the inflatable restraint IP module yellow pigtail connector (3) to the yellow 2-way electrical harness connector.
  3. Install the connector position assurance.
  4. Install the yellow 2-way electrical harness connector to the mounting on the left side of the mounting bracket.
  5. Install the 2 new retainer J-clips to the mounting bracket.
  6. Install the inflatable restraint IP module (2) to the mounting bracket through the front of the instrument panel (1). Use the 2 retainer J-clips in order to hold the inflatable restraint IP module in position.

7. Install the fasteners (5) to the studs (4) of the inflatable restraint IP module.

Tighten
    Tighten the fasteners to 10 N·m(89 lb in).

8. Roll the instrument panel forward.
  9. Enable the SIR system.
Scott K, ASE Master Tech/Instructor
Experience: 20 yrs Experience; GM factory Training ASE Master Certified with L1 advanced engine diagnostics