ase_master327
ase_master327, Shop Owner
Experience:  +15 years experience with Chevrolet. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.

how to bleed a clutch fluid on a 98 silverado 4x4.

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Chevy
Expert:  ase_master327 replied 6 years ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer!

Here are the instructions on now to bleed the clutch on your truck. If it is completely bled out, and clutch still is inoperative, then the clutch master cylinder is bad.

1. Fill the reservoir with new brake fluid. Use Delco Supreme (R) Brake Fluid (GM P/N(NNN) NNN-NNNN or equivalent. IMPORTANT: Never use fluid that you have bled from a system to fill the reservoir. The fluid may be aerated or contaminated.
  2. Raise the vehicle. CAUTION: Refer to Vehicle Lifting Caution in Service Precautions.
  3. Depress the clutch pedal (hold the pedal down).
  4. Open the bleed screw on the concentric slave cylinder in order to expel the air.
  5. Close the bleed screw then release the clutch pedal.
  6. Repeat steps 2, 3, and 4 until all the air is out of the clutch system.
6.1.Check and refill the reservoir as needed while bleeding.
6.2.After bleeding, pump the clutch pedal several times. If the clutch engagement is not satisfactory, repeat the bleeding procedure.

IMPORTANT: Ensure no air is drawn into the clutch system.

1. If the previous procedures are unsuccessful, perform the following steps.
7.1.Remove the reservoir cap.
7.2.Pump the clutch pedal very fast for 30 seconds.
7.3.Stop pumping and let the air escape.
7.4.Repeat this procedure as necessary.
  1. Lower the vehicle
ase_master327, Shop Owner
Experience: +15 years experience with Chevrolet. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hi there, I did everything you told me , but still not enought, I bleed as you describe me, and drove the truck for couple blocks , (about 10 min. )everything was fine, but after that it went back to do the same thing.
You know how when you fix something, the next weakest part breaks?

You need a new clutch master cylinder. The fluid you put in it is DOT3 Brake fluid. This fluid should be changed about once a year. It is hygroscopic, meaning it soaks up moisture.

moisture = corrosion.

So be sure to check the brake fluid, too... You can get test strips from the auto parts