Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
2210118

how to remove control arm bushings on a 2000 chevy tracker

No Comment Added
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 8 years ago.

Well, according to the GM service manual, there are some special tools the dealers use to remove the bushing, using a press. About the best you can do it check to see if you can rent them. Even new control arms come with out the bushings, so it is possible to replace them. Maybe if they are real rusted you will need to use some heat on them too. Instructions from the service manual enclosed below for you. Thanks

Front Lower Control Arm Bushing Replacement

Tools Required

J 21474-01 Control Arm Bushing Set
J 35739 Control Arm Bushing Installer
Snap-on® A57Q Bushing Remover/Installer Set

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the front suspension lower control arm.
  2. Spray penetrating lubricant on the bushings in order to loosen the bushings from the control arm.
    Object Number: 465420  Size: SH

3. Important: Do not transfer bushings from an old control arm to a new control arm.

4. Use a hydraulic press and adaptors or the following tools in order to remove the 2 bushings (7,10) from the control arm (11):
    A vise
    A hammer
    The appropriate adaptors

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 465420  Size: SH

Important: New control arms do not include bushings. New bushings are available separately.

1. Apply Slick 50® One Lube, or an equivalent PTFE lubricant, or soap water, to the outside of a NEW front bushing (7) and the inside of the control arm housing.
  2. Use a hydraulic press, or the following tools, or equivalent tools, in order to install the front bushing to the control arm:
    Snap-on® A57-41 Adaptor
    2 Snap-on® A57Q Bearings
    2 Snap-on® A57Q Washers
    J 21474-13 Adaptor
    J 21474-18 Nut
    J 21474-19 Screw
    J 35739-3 Adaptor
  3. Verify the flange of the bushing contacts the control arm.
  4. Apply Slick 50® One Lube, or an equivalent PTFE lubricant, or soap water, to the outside of a NEW rear bushing (10) and the inside of the control arm housing.
  5. Use a hydraulic press, or the following tools, or equivalent tools, in order to install the rear bushing to the control arm:
    Snap-on® A57-3 Adaptor
    Snap-on® A57-44 Adaptor
    Snap-on® A57-47 Adaptor
    2 Snap-on® A57Q Bearings
    Snap-on® A57Q Nut
    Snap-on® A57CA Screw
    2 Snap-on® A57Q Washers
  6. Verify the flange of the bushing contacts the control arm.
  7. Install the control arm. .
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Bob's Post: Hey Its sorta helpful I can't view the links for the tools required..

This all came about because of a safety recall that my car has too many miles on for GM to fix..Frankly I love my car and have taken good care of it..But I can't afford the 1200.00 dollars the dealer wants to fit the rotted cross piece..I am attempting to fix it myself, and have done well at getting out the bolts and stuff..
I don't want to have to remove the control arms.. I have tried heat but have only succeded in setting the rubber on fire..any clue how to remove the rubber easily? If I can get the rubber out I should be able to heat up the old bushing and convince it out.. I have the center bolt and inner steel sleve out..Do you think that a fork would work?
Expert:  Bob replied 8 years ago.

Sorry, I tried to post pictures of the tools for you, but the file is not the correct type for this site to accept and I have had no luck trying to convert it. According to GM they want you to remove the control arm so you can use the special tools in a press. A fork may work. You will just have to try it and see. The only other thing I could suggest would be to just burn them out. Good luck.