RD, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master 35 years

How do I get my parking brake unstuck, its locked up

Customer Question

it''s an 86 gmc suburban, the parking brake just falls to the floor and won''t stay up on it''s own. Even when relased however, the truck still won''t move in anything other than reverse. Parking brake is stuck on! Can I just cut a cable somewhere, or do I need to remove the parking brake shoe also? It''s okay if the parking brake is disabled, I just need it to be unstuck so I can drive it.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  RD replied 8 years ago.

Welcome to JA!

Yes does sound like the park brake cables are stuck,

If you trace the cables up from the left and right sides of the reared you will see where the 2 cables connect to the 1 cable,

here is a common spot where to try and back the cables off at,

I would recommend replacing the 3 brake cables, for safety reasons and for rear brake ajustmint reasons

you will have to remove the brake drums to dis connect the cables from the shoes.

Let me know if i can help more!