Eric, Master Technician/shop foreman
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, 25 years experience, Over400 General Motors certifications
3077897

2003 Impala: the steering wheel and or shift lever it

Customer Question

2003 Impala sometimes won''t start. If you mess around with the steering wheel and or shift lever it usually will start. Any help appreciated
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 8 years ago.
Hi, when you say if wont start, does that mean it wont turn over? or it just cranks and doesnt fire? Let me know and i will try to help you out. Thanks Eric
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Eric's Post: It won't turn over. It is like there is a safety switch that is not getting turn on correctly.

Thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 8 years ago.
Okay, is this a floor shift or a column shift?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Column Shift automatic
Expert:  Eric replied 8 years ago.
Okay, since you are playing with the shifter and then it will start i would look at the park/neutral switch adjustment on top of the trans. If may either be misadjusted,loose, or failing. If the shifter feels sloppy then you mayhave a problem with the shift cable that goes from column out to trans. Let me know if i can help you further. Thanks Eric
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Where is this switch located? Can I get at from the top or the bottom
Expert:  Eric replied 8 years ago.
It is located on the top of the transmission. You can get to it from the top. Look for your shift cable, the switch is right underneath where the cable hooks on to the trans. It has two bolts for adjustment and replacement. Let me know if i can help you further. thanks Eric
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I will check it out tonight.

Thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 8 years ago.
okay, let me know what you find. thanks Eric
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I looked at the trans last night, I found where the shift cable attaches to the trans there is not any switch or anything actually near the shift lever. Is there an other place I should look?
Expert:  Eric replied 8 years ago.
Where the cable hooks onto the trans, there is a bracket,with a nut on it. The bracket goes onto a shaft. follow the shaft down and you will see a flat switch with one or two electrical plugs going into it. That is the switch. Its basically the only thing electrical on the top of the trans, but it is under the shift cable, it slides down over the shaft. Here is a picture, its a little vague, Its no. 811 in the pic. Automatic Transmission Electronic Component Views

Internal Electronic Component Location

Object Number: 840831  Size: LF
Click here for detailed picture of above imageidth=
(10)Automatic Transmission Output Shaft Speed (OSS) Sensor
(315a)1-2, 3-4 Shift Solenoid (SS) Valve Assembly (ME7 or MN5)
(315b)2-3 Shift Solenoid (SS) Valve Assembly (ME7 or MN5)
(322)Pressure Control (PC) Solenoid Valve (ME7 or MN5)
(334)Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) Solenoid Valve (ME7 or MN5)
(391)Automatic Transmission Fluid Temperature (TFT) Sensor
(395)Automatic Transmission Fluid Pressure (TFP) Manual Valve Position Switch
(440)Automatic Transmission Input Shaft Speed (ISS) Sensor
(811)Transmission Manual Shift Shaft Switch
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Remember this is an auto trans. I will look again tonight, but I did not see anything electrical near the shift lever.

Thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 8 years ago.
Okay, my mistake, the switch on your trans is INSIDE the trans, I had a brain cramp on that one, sorry, Its a fairly major job to replace if it is your problem. Sorry again for the error on my part. Thanks Eric
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is there a way to bypass it.
Expert:  Eric replied 8 years ago.
No, there is no way to bypass it. Someone with a scanner able to read the data could check to see if the switch is functioning correctly. You may need to take it to a dealer to have it checked.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Ok thanks