roadsidejerry, auto mechanic
Experience:  Auto Mechanic 39 years, 30 with NYPD Fleet Service Division

2002 chevy: z71..pickup..a noise in the rear end that sounds..loose

i have a 2002 chevy silverado z71 pickup. i have a noise in the rear end that sounds like something is loose? i have had it to a few differant places and no luck. it sounds like the drivers back wheel is loose. you really here it when you go over speed bumps in parking lots at a slow speed. every where i take it they say the same thing the rear end is fine. have you any answeres? it sounds like bolts are loose
Hi it is possible a shock mounting is loose,sometimes when a vehicle is raised,the suspension is hanging and you can see or feel the looseness.A would also take a good look at the rear wheel caliper and pads,the could be some looseness there and going over a bump would give yo the noise. If the truck has a rear stabilizer bar,the bushings and links need to be inspected.Last though it may sound simple ,check the mounting of the spare tire ,they can give you a noise if not mounted tight.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I put new shooks on also we checked the springs. it seems like it is in the wheel or axle and just on the drivers is driveing me nuts. spare tire is tight

Has the up and down play in therear axle been checked.The axle rides on a bearing in the end of the axle tube. I have had some that the bearing started to fail,and the axle shaft had to be replaced,since the axle shaft acts as the inner bearing race on that design.The rear rotors also have the parrkng brake shoe inside,I have not had a problem with one, but it is possible they can be giving you the noise if there is a problem with are some illustrations of the park brake and axle.

If you can,let me know what you found and how it was fixed,thanks again,Jerry.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It was the emergency brake.Im amazed that the shops that i had it to didnt think to check that.I thank you very much.If i ever have any more problems i will get a hold of you.