Dan, Auto Technician
Experience:  GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified
4976144

how do I replace shocks on a 2001 Chevrolet blazer

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
2 or 4WD?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Dan's Post: 4wd
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
Shock Absorber Replacement (4WD)

Removal Procedure

1. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
  2. Remove the tire and wheel. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.
    Object Number: 1918  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above imageidth=
  3. Remove the shock absorber lower mounting nut and bolt.
  4. Remove the shock absorber upper mounting nut and bolt.
  5. Remove the shock absorber.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 1918  Size: SH
  1. Install the shock absorber to the bracket.
  2. Install the upper and lower shock absorber bolts. Fit the bolts in the direction shown.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

3. Install the upper and lower shock absorber nuts.

Tighten

Tighten the shock absorber mounting nuts and the bolts with the front suspension loaded.
    Tighten the shock absorber upper and lower mounting nuts to 73 N·m (54 lb ft).

4. Install the tire and wheel. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.
  5. Lower the vehicle.
  6. Shock Absorber Replacement

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 217759  Size: SH
    1. Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
    2. Support the rear axle.
    3. Disconnect automatic level control air lines from shock absorber, if equipped.
    4. Remove the shock absorber upper mounting bolts.
    5. Remove the shock absorber lower mounting nut.
    6. Remove the shock absorber lower mounting bolt (four door utilities only).
    7. Remove the shock absorber from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 217759  Size: SH
    1. Install the shock absorber to the vehicle.
    2. Install the shock absorber lower mounting bolt (four door utilities only).

3. Install the shock absorber upper mounting bolts.

Tighten
      Tighten the shock absorber upper mounting bolts to 35 N·m (25 lb ft).

4. Install the shock absorber lower mounting nut.

Tighten

Tighten the shock absorber lower mounting nut to 84 N·m (62 lb ft) on pickups and 2-door utility models.
      Tighten the shock absorber lower mounting nut to 100 N·m (74 lb ft) on 4-door utility models.

5. Connect automatic level control air line to shock absorber, if equipped.
    6. Remove the rear axle support.
    7. Lower the vehicle.