Steve
Steve, Service Manager
Experience:  25+ Years experience as a professional working automotive technician; ASE L1 master technician
157173

I have a 2003 chevy impala. 3.4L. The check engine light ...

I have a 2003 chevy impala. 3.4L. The check engine light came on. A check from a local auto parts store mentions the EGR valve and the electronics around it. Can I still clean the EGR valve and are there checks I can do to check the solinoids etc controling the EGR?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Steve replied 8 years ago.

hello!

The EGR valve on your model is an electronically controlled design; the powertrain control module pulses ground on and off to cause the EGR pintle to open the amount desired.

This type of valve can still be cleaned, if you hapeens to find a chunk of carbon deposit holding the pintle off of it's seat. This would be rather unusual though; the usual failure with this design is a poor internal electrical connection that requires that the valve be replaced.

You can test this valve but a professional level scan tool is required to do so; this type of scan tool can be used to command the valve to open and close in calibrated increments while monitoring it's response (as read through tvalve's internal position sensor) on the scan tool screen.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Steve7654's Post: Is the EGR valve located upper right corner of the engine as you are facing the front of the car. I want to say that the valve is cyndrical in shape and sits verticaly?
Expert:  Steve replied 8 years ago.
Yes, the EGR valve looks like a cylindrical metal object about 3 to 4 inches tall, mounted vertically on the top of the engine on the drivers side. it has an electrical plug connected to the top.