Wrenchtech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  40 years experience with ASE certification as Master Technician with L1--Repair Shop Owner

Chevy cavalier: I disable my runs

how do I disable my passlock on my chevy cavalier. I think this is the problem, the car runs for a while then just shuts off and won''t start for about 20minutes. I was told it is probably the passlock. Is this truw?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Wrenchtech replied 8 years ago.
Your 89 car is not equipped with Passlock.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Wrenchtech's Post: actually this is my son's car, I 'm not exactly sure what year it is. We tok it to one repair place and they told us that they beleive that the problem was the passlock, but referred us to another shop that might know how to repair or fix the problem. They can't get the car in until Monday and he needs to use his car for work before that. If you cvan help I'd really appreicate it.
I don't know what to tell you. You giving me a vehicle that isn't even equipped with Passlock. I can't very well diagnose your problem if we don't know exactly what we're working on.

Do you have a security light coming on or flashing when this happens?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Wrenchtech's Post: yes
The Passlock system cannot be disabled. It's integrated right into the operating software. The computer will not energize the fuel conmtrols unless it first receives the correct password XXXXX the Passlock system.

That being said, the most common failure and cause of problems is the sensor in the ignition lock. That component can be bypassed but the rest of the system will still be operational and if there is a problem anywhere else in the system, it will have to be repaired.

Here is the sensor bypass procedure.

Go buy a 2.2k (2200 ohm) ohm resistor at an electronics store. Go to radio shack and just get one as close to that as you can. Remove the covers on the steering column and locate three small wires at the lock cylinder. Cut the yellow wire and the orange/black wire. Solder the resistor between those wires. Tape it up and put the covers back on and follow this relearn procedure. If this doesn't work you have a wiring problem in the steering column.

30 Minute Re-Learn Procedure
  1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes ( the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).

The vehicle learns the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

1. Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or password).
  2. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if desired (history DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles).