Kevin
Kevin, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  15 years experience domestic and foreign car and truck repair

Malfunctioning..alarm system..I disable the factory alarm

Customer Question

My factory alarm on my 2000 silverado is malfunctioning and causing it to shut down. I have an Avital alarm system installed as well, but it is the factory alarm causing the problem. How can I disable the factory alarm?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 years ago.

does the secondary alarm have a remote start function ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes.
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 years ago.
well than the problem you are having is the transponder bypass module in the auto start system...somewhere under the dash there is a box that has a key in it for the transponder system - that is your problem...that is how the auto start gets around the factory system i believe the problem is in the secondary alarm system
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So how would I go about fixing it. If I could disable the factory alarm then would that take care of the problem?
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 years ago.
if you disable the factory alarm the security light on the dash will be permanently on
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Would disabling it cause any problems, if not how exactly do I disable it.
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 years ago.
won't cause any problems
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Could you explain to me how to disable it.
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 years ago.
is there a PK3 on your key ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm sorry, Im not sure
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 years ago.
on the original key itself near the blace part - what are the initials ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I do not see initials on the key
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 years ago.

is there a pellet resistor in the key ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No it doesn't have a pellot resistor.
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 years ago.

is it a factory key that you use ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, I have the two original keys and remotes.
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 years ago.
if you put one of those original keys relatively close to the lock cylinder under the dash you should have no problem with the security system..and you can try the relearn procedure which is to simply put the key in the lock cylinder in the run position walk away and leave it for at least 12 min. then come back and crank it without starting then return key to off position then start vehicle as normal and on this cycle the key code will be refreshed and hopefully you will be problem free - good luck and please click the green accept button and if i can be of any more assistance don't hesitate to ask - thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I appreciate your answer. I have left the key in the run position for 12 minutes before and the problem still persist. I dont want to inconvenience you but I would like to know how to completely disable the factory alarm, that way I know the problem wont happen again. I have the avital alarm and dont want to be bothered with the factory alarm anymore. Thanks
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 years ago.
i would have to get back to you on this
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Kevin, I was wondering if you could let me know how to disable the factory alarm.
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 years ago.

before you do anything else would you just take the drivrers side knick panel down and check to be sure the alarm system (aftermarket) ahs any blown fuses or plugs that have came loose ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did this when I tried to ground out the factory alarm system last week, and everything was normal.
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 years ago.

you need to access the ign lock cylinder to expose the i believe three small wires one of the when cut will simply appear as a sysem fault to the computer and lock the system out ...problem is i did this once on a different vehicle and cannot remember the color...i wanna say it was red white or gray , i am sorry but cannot find an exact schematic for this truck and actually would recommend you just take it to a alarm shop to fix the bypass module fault - good luck

Expert:  Kevin replied 6 years ago.
i really wanna say red because i remember jokingly saying while i did it "don't cut the red wire"
Kevin, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 15 years experience domestic and foreign car and truck repair
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 years ago.
) Find a small bundle of 3 tiny wires (usually Yellow, Black, and white) wrapped in friction tape running from the ignition lock cylinder. See the link to DIAGRAMS. There are some good photos there. (5)Cut the yellow wire (6) Your SECURITY/THEFT SYSTEM light will come on steady (7)The Passlock is now disabled for all future starts.
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 years ago.

this is the instruction i followed...also to note is that we don't really know how this might work with the way the other alarm system is hooked in - good luck