Greg A
Greg A, Master Troubleshooter
Experience:  Working with Electronics & Cars for 25+ Years
5229702

How do I adjust the drivers door on my 1985 Chevy ...

How do I adjust the drivers door on my 1985 Chevy pickup? All of a sudden it is sagging and won''t latch and the top right corner is hitting the door frame.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Greg A replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer.

It might be that the hinges are a little worn and need to be replaced, or you may be able to adjust them. Here is the procedure for replacing the doors, which has some details about making these adjustments. I left the instructions in for the rear doors, just in case you need them.

Take Care, Greg A.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures Below

graphic
Fig. 1: Front side door hinge

graphic
Fig. 2: Striker bolt adjustment

graphic
Fig. 3: Rear side door hinge

graphic
Fig. 4: Rear door hinges

Front Side Doors

If the door being removed is to be reinstalled, matchmark the hinge position.

1. If the truck is equipped with power windows or power door locks, disconnect the negative battery cable and disconnect the door harness connector.

2. If the door is to be replaced with a new one, remove the trim panels, weathersheets and all molding.

3. If the door is to be replaced with a new one, remove the glass, locks and latches.

4. Support the door and remove the hinge-to-body attaching bolts. Lift the door from the truck.

5. Installation is the reverse of removal. After reinstalling the door perform the alignment procedures.

Rear Side Doors

2. Remove the inner hinge pillar cover screws and covers.

3. Mark the position of the hinges on the door and the door pillar.

4. Remove the hinge to door pillar bolts.

5. Remove the door from the vehicle.

6. Installation is the reverse of removal. After reinstalling the door perform the alignment procedures.

Rear Doors

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable and disconnect the door harness connector.

3. Mark the position of the hinges on the body and the door.

4. Remove the hinge to body pillar bolts.

5. Remove the door from the vehicle.

ALIGNMENT

The holes for the hinges are oversized to provide for latitude in alignment.

Always align the door hinges first, then the striker. The doors are properly aligned when the following gaps are measured:

Front Side Door

• Gap between door and rocker panel is 6 mm plus or minus 2 mm (0.24 inch plus or minus 0.09).

• Gap between door and roof panel is 5 mm plus or minus 2 mm (0.19 inch plus or minus 0.09).

• Gap between door and the door pillar is 5 mm plus or minus 2 mm (0.19 inch plus or minus 0.09).

• Gap between door and windshield pillar should be 2 mm plus or minus 1.5 mm (0.08 inch plus or minus0.06)

Rear Side Door

• Gap between the rear edge of the door and the rear door pillar is 5 mm plus or minus 2 mm (0.19 inch plus or minus 0.09).

• Gap between front edge of the door and front door pillar should be 5 mm plus or minus 2 mm (0.19 inch plus or minus 0.09).

Rear Doors

• Gap between the bottom of the door and floor panel is 7 mm (0.28 inch).

• Gap between doors and roof panel is 5 mm plus or minus 2 mm (0.19 inch plus or minus 0.09).

• Gap between the side edge of the door and body pillar is 5 mm plus or minus 2 mm (0.19 inch plus or minus 0.09).

• Gap between the two doors should be 5 mm plus or minus 2 mm (0.19 inch plus or minus 0.09).

Hinges

1. If a door is being installed, first mount the door and tighten the hinge bolts lightly. If the door has not been removed, determine which hinge bolts must be loosed to effect alignment.

2. Loosen the necessary bolts just enough to allow the door to be moved with a padded prybar.

3. Move the door in small movements and check the fit after each movement. Be sure that there is no binding or interference with adjacent panels. Keep repeating this procedure until the door is properly aligned.

4. Once the adjustment has been made, tighten all the bolts.

Shims may be either fabricated or purchased to install behind the hinges as an aid in alignment.

Striker Plate

The striker is attached to the pillar using oversized holes, providing latitude in movement.

Striker adjustment is made by loosening the bolts and moving the striker plate in the desired direction or adding or deleting the shims behind the plate, or both.

The striker is properly adjusted when the locking latch enters the striker without rubbing and the door closed fully and solidly, with no play when closed.

Greg A, Master Troubleshooter
Experience: Working with Electronics & Cars for 25+ Years