roadsidejerry
roadsidejerry, auto mechanic
Experience:  Auto Mechanic 39 years, 30 with NYPD Fleet Service Division

1997 Chevy s10 blazer: new battery..starts fine..without starting

Customer Question

i have a 1997 Chevy s10 blazer ...It has a new battery but it is still hard to start. Have to jump it and after about 30 minutes or so jumping it, it starts. Now if I contiue to turn it on everyday it starts fine, but if I go 1 day without starting I have to jumo it all over again.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  roadsidejerry replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer you have what is called a parasitic drain,something is remaining powered up when you shut your engine,and it drains the battery overnight. I am sending some info on this problem and some testing that needs to be done to find a problem like this. As a quick test to prove this is your problem, and not a defective battery,next time you use the car,when you park it,disconnect the battery,next day reconnect it. If it starts you know for sure a drain is the problem.If it doesn't start,the battery is your problem. Here is the testing info,if you have a drain,Thanks for using Just Answer,Jerry.

graphicgraphicgraphicgraphic

roadsidejerry, auto mechanic
Experience: Auto Mechanic 39 years, 30 with NYPD Fleet Service Division
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to roadsidejerry's Post: Thanks for your help Jerry. Well I put the charger on the battery and it was indicating that the batt. had a full charge, so I put the charger on start boost left it like that for about 10 minutes and then tried to start. I cranked it for about 5 minutes without any luck.

A little more background info. it has been about a month since I last started the truck. And last night the batt. had a full charge.
Also about 3 years ago I had to replace my ignition switch because the original froze up on me, I had it replaced at a garage. This problem started about 1 1/2 years after it was replaced.
I have never had to replace anything else on it since I have had it.
It is a manual transmission with 144k miles.

Thanks
Hi, It seems you have a good crank, but a hard staritng problem.First off don't crank for more then 30 seconds with out letting the starter cool of for at least a minute between attempts ,or it will damage the starter.The problem appears to be a fuel problem, that system needs 60 to 66 psi to start and run, you can have a weak pump,or a drain back problem. When the truck is left the fuel prime is lost and you have a hard start. This would have to be checked by leaving it at a shop for one day, and having the pressure tested with a fuel gauge . You can try a test yourself, give it a short spray of starting fluid, before you try to start, it should at least attempt to start if fuel is you problem .These engines are known for problems with the injectors and pressure regulators causing the pressure leak down.I hope this will help you to resolve your problem,if you need any more help,this question will remain open for you,Thanks Jerry.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to roadsidejerry's Post: I'll give that a shot today after work. Just to be clear, I should be able to remove the cover over the fuel injector housing and spray starter fluid and it should start up?
Just spray into the air intake at the air cleaner, no need to remove anything. Not too much. It would help if you can get someone to crank it while you give it a short spray. Just enough, about 3 seconds at most.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to roadsidejerry's Post: Hello Jerry,

Well I tried what you suggested yesterday, but it still did not work. I even hooked up the charger and put it on start/boost and sprayed short burst like you said but no luck. I must have tried for about a good 40 minutes, making sure to follow your instructions and not crank it for more than 30 seconds at a time and waiting 1 minute between cranks.
I noticed that after each time I tried starting it , when I turned the key back to the off position, 10 seconds later the truck would make a slight turnover on its own.

Anymore ideas?

Thanks
Hi, it seems that you are having an ignition problem, no spark. Check for a good spark,at least 1/2 inch and blue coming from the coil wire .If you have spark do the same test at the spark plug wires.The fact that you get the slight turnover when you turn the key off,leads me to suspect it is getting a spark at that time,and firing the gas in the cylinder . This can be due to a module problem or possible crank sensor .When you do the spark test,try to notice if you don't have spark while cranking,that you get a spark as the key is released. Checking these items would require some testing using a factory level scan tool,or a lab scope to check if the crank sensor is sending a signal when the engine is being cranked.I suspect the module,but it would be best if you can have some tests done.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to roadsidejerry's Post: I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks for your continued help.
Let me know if you need more help,Jerry
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to roadsidejerry's Post: Hi Jerry, sorry I have'nt emailed you today...been real busy here at work. I didn't get a chance to try what you said yesterday, got off late. I am planning on looking at it tonight or tomorrow morning, will you be reading emails tomorrow?
I will be looking during the weekend,good luclk,I hope it gets going,Jerry
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Jerry,

Sorry for not keeping you updated. I tested the spark from the main coil wire, I got good strong spark better than 1/2 inch the only thing is that it was more of an orange colored spark than blue. I did not continue on to test the individual spark plug wires because I thought the orange color might be a problem. Please let me know if I should contiue or if you have some other ideas.

I thank you for your contiued help.
You should check for spark at a few of the wires going to the spark plugs, see what you have. I would also remove the spark plugs they may be fouled and causing the no start. You can pull the cap ,look for any corrosion,or indications of arcing between the contacts and to ground , look at the rotor for any sign of burn through.Cap and rotors are prone to fail on this truck.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did not know this 97 blazer had a cap and rotor, I see an electrical rectanular object with all the wires coming out of it.

Hi Here is a picture of the cap,it is a flat type mounted on top off the distributor in the back of the engine.

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yep that is the part I was talking about. When you said cap and rotor I was thinking about the old fashioned round type.
I'll be sure to do what you suggested, I think we are getting closer.

Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hello Jerry,

I gotta say your the King, thanks. I checked the cap and rotor like you said and there was corrosion all over the contacts. As soon as I replaced the cap and rotor it started up like a champ.
Thanks for all your help, I am going to put new plugs and wires in tomorrow.

Thanks