Scott K
Scott K, ASE Master Tech/Instructor
Experience:  20 yrs Experience; GM factory Training ASE Master Certified with L1 advanced engine diagnostics

2000 chevy silerado 5.3 knock sensor

the truck keeps giving me same code say low input voltage knock sensor bank 2 how and what should i check for before taking off intake to change if not the sensor beeing bad should i check some thing else
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Scott K replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer

Welcome to Just answer,

Your truck's bank 2 knock sensor is a common failure, the 2 knock sensors as you know are under the intake, they both "sit" in a "cup", there is a problem with water intrusion into the rear B2 knock sensor.GM has a bulletin on the issue, after kncok sensor replacement a bead of silicone is placed around the rim of the "cup" to avoid this happening in the future.

Low voltage is usually a failure to produce enough voltage due to a faulty knock sensor, there could be a issue with the wiring to and from the knock sensor but very unlikley.

Bulletin information.

Condition

Some customers may comment on a mild to severe engine ping (commonly referred to as spark knock), usually worse during acceleration and/or an illuminated MIL. Upon investigation, the technician may find DTC P0332 set.

Cause

This condition may be the result of corrosion of the rear bank knock sensor due to water intrusion into the sensor cavity. This condition is more apparent on vehicles in which customers frequently wash the engine compartment.

Correction

Replace the rear bank knock sensor and build a dam (wall) around the sensor using RTV to divert water away from the sensor. Use the procedure and part number listed below.

1. Remove the intake manifold. Refer to the Intake Manifold Replacement procedure in the Engine Controls sub-section of the appropriate Service Manual.
    Object Number: 54608  Size: SH

2. Remove the wiring harness assembly from the knock sensor.
    Object Number: 54612  Size: SH

3. Remove the rear bank knock sensor.
  4. Install the new rear bank knock sensor.

Tighten
    Tighten the knock sensor to 20 N·m(15 lb ft).

5. Install the wiring harness assembly to the knock sensor.
    Object Number: 881977  Size: SH
  6. Apply a bead of RTV silicone sealant approximately 9 mm (3/8 in) wide and 6 mm (1/4 in) high along the outside edge of the ridge on the engine block valley cover around the rear bank knock sensor. DO NOT form a complete circle. Leave the rear section open as shown.
  7. From the underside of the intake manifold, completely remove the rear intake manifold seal (foam material).
  8. Install the intake manifold. Refer to the Intake Manifold Replacement procedure in the Engine Controls sub-section of the appropriate Service Manual.

Any more questions just ask

Scott

Scott K, ASE Master Tech/Instructor
Experience: 20 yrs Experience; GM factory Training ASE Master Certified with L1 advanced engine diagnostics
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Scott K's Post: can i check sensor while still in truck with a vom and what should the rate be on this and what color wires should i probe
Expert:  Scott K replied 6 years ago.
  1. Remove the intake manifold sight shield.
  2. Disconnect the knock sensor jumper harness connector located on the left side of the intake manifold.
  3. Set the DMM to the 400K ohm scale.
  4. Measure the resistance of the appropriate knock sensor using the DMM connected to battery ground.

Is the resistance of the knock sensor within the specified range?

93-107K ohms

1. Connect the DMM between the appropriate knock sensor signal circuit on the sensor side and the engine block.
  2. Set the DMM to the AC voltage scale.

Important: Do not tap on plastic engine components.

3. Tap on the engine block near the appropriate knock sensor while observing the signal indicated on the DMM.

Is any signal indicated on the DMM while tapping on the engine block near the knock sensor?

Object Number: 489108  Size: FS

Object Number: 597760  Size: SF

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Scott K's Post: hi could you tell me what the intake manifold sight shield looks like thanks again i will except after this
Expert:  Scott K replied 6 years ago.
Sure it is the plastic cover over the intake, 2 bolts hold it on says vortec on it. It is removed so you can get to the Knock sensor connector.