Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
2210118

How do i set / adjust the throttle valve cable (kickdown ...

Customer Question

How do i set / adjust the throttle valve cable (kickdown cable) on a 1991 GMC K2500XC Sierra 6.2L Diesel?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.

Hello, sorry I don't have a picture of this one, see if the info below helps. Thanks

Throttle Valve Cable

This procedure applies to the THM 700R4 transmission.

The adjustment is made at the engine end of the cable with the engine off, by rotating the throttle lever by hand. DO NOT use the accelerator pedal to rotate the throttle lever.

1. Remove the air cleaner.

2. Depress and hold down the metal adjusting tab at the end of the cable.

3. Move the slider until it stops against the fitting.

4. Release the adjusting tab.

5. Rotate the throttle lever to the full extent of it travel.

6. The slider must move towards the lever when the lever is at full travel. Make sure that the cable moves freely.

The cable may appear to function properly with the engine cold. Recheck it with the engine hot.

1. Road test the truck.

Bob, Auto Tech
Experience: Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Please can i have a bit more detail?

what exactly do you mean by the slider, is it the linkage between the cable and the throttle lever or is it the moving / adjuster part of the cable?

what do you mean by the fitting?
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.

Hello, Sure will try to help. You will find that the outer housing part of the cable will move to make the adjustment. When they say fitting, they just mean where it is bolted to the bracket. When it hits there it won't slide any more. Use the mechanical linkage where the throttle cable is connected to open the throttle plates, don't use the gas pedal. It needs to be adjusted at wide open throttle, with the motor off, of course. Let me know if this doesn't help. Once you look at it is should be pretty self explanatory. If you still have problems let me know and I may be able to find a picture of one on a gas motor, that will be similar. Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Bob's Post: bob

thank you for your help, but i'm still struggling to understand. i follow how the adjuster works.

do i press the tab down and open the throttle at the same time? if so does this not make the cable too long when you close the throttle?

or do i set the length of the cable with the throttle closed?

when i road test what am i checking for?
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.
Push the clip in first, then pull the outer housing as far as it will go. Then release the clip. Then open the throttle by hand and it should move the cable, when you open the throttle by hand, you should see, hear or feel the thing move when you open the throttle. Then it is adjusted.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
right, i think i've got it!

when i pull the outer housing i guess i'm shortening the cable, then the action of opening the throttle locks the adjuster?
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.
Yup, you got it. After your done, you can road test it to see if it shifts and the passing gear work like you want. If not you can experiment by going back and forth with the adjustment to change the shift points.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
bob - thank you for your help
regards
nigel
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.
You are most welcome. Thanks for the accept and for using JA. I wish you continued luck with the truck.